You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying my first Newell

Welcome Max and Sara - as the purchaser of a 1975 35 ft Newell this summer, I'm pretty sure I understand your excitement. I hope your's is not going to need as much love as mine. That being said I have to agree with the Guru's when they say this is a well build unit. I'm kind of a fan of simple solid setups. My 75 certainly fits that description. Good luck on your project. I'm certainly no expert, but with the internet and this forum most things are possible. Enjoy!!

Any help an old mechanic and computer guy - is offered

John Marshall
[email protected]
Jenison, Michigan
Currently known as the frozen tundra Wink

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Does anyone know in California do I need a special license to drive my 38' newell with air brakes?

Max & Sara 
1984 Newell 38', Coach #31
Roudy the pug, Nettie the chihuahua/sheltie

Are there any cali owners in the house.

Max & Sara 

Here are some pics of the new beauty.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Max & Sara 

No special license needed in California........lived in California 67 years.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reply. I have been stressing about it because the DMV website has conflicting information on it. I went to the Dmv today and as soon as I said air brakes they said I had to get a commercial class A. Which to me sounded wrong because that would mean pretty much all large motorhome owners in California are breaking the law.

Max & Sara 

Cannot speak for California, but in Texas you need a special license designated as "B". To get it you take the commercial written exam and road test in your motorhome. Failure to operate with the proper license could put your insurance at risk.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

the challenge here is that there are different laws in california based on size of the coach. clarkes is a 36 ft coach and is under different rules than an over 40' coach.

have a look at this

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connec...OD=AJPERES

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(01-31-2017, 09:01 AM)encantotom Wrote:  the challenge here is that there are different laws in california based on size of the coach.  clarkes is a 36 ft coach and is under different rules than an over 40' coach.

have a look at this

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connec...OD=AJPERES

tom

Register coach in MT and get a MT class D license.  Have to set up MT corp.  There are ads in back of FMCA for these services.

My coach is registered in Montana in a LLC, but I want to know more about the availability of an individual Montana drivers license without a residence in the state. I would not want to be registered as a residence because Montana has an income tax even though it has no sales tax.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica