You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Not an owner yet. Looking for a coach under 39'. Checking many forums and trying to

Hello, We are doing our research and looking at the most highly recommended RV's. We plan to travel the country for a couple of years as soon as our home in Minnesota is sold.
Thanks for your advice.
Newbiemn

Welcome Newbi

Wow, selling your house before you have the coach of your dreams takes more gravitas than I have, but kudos for pursuing the dream.

As you may have heard, if mamma ain't happy ain't nobody happy. As guys we love the technical side of these amazing machines, our ladies not so much. Either the interior works for her or the coach doesn't.

Knowing how you prefer to travel; where you like to stay and for how long, is critical for selecting a coach you will be happy with long term.

The age of a coach has implications: the newer it is the more complex it tends to be (ergo how much can go wrong). the older it is the more attention you need to pay to how well cared for it has been though even recent coaches can be trashed. The older the coach the more likely you will need to do your own maintenance to justify the expense of ownership. There is little point in buying an older coach for $40,000 and then need to invest a 1000 hours of maintenance at $100/hour. Not that every low priced coach will need such a thing, but it does happen if you don't know what to look for - I didn't with my first Newell.

Looking for coaches under 39' will severely limit the number of Newell coaches you will find and they will all be from the 80's or earlier, with only a couple 38' exceptions. You also need to be clear about the basis of this requirement. If it is about a particular parking spot then you are stuck with it. If it is about invested money, then it ain't necessarily so. The relationship between length and cost isn't linear.

I've owned coaches for 30+ years. I have yet to find the perfect coach. Any coach is a tradeoff. Only you, and your partner, can determine the acceptable tradeoffs.

Welcome and the very best of luck in following your dream,

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed