You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

50 Years of Newell

2017 is the 50th Anniversary of Newell. 

Here is a just published brief Newell history.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Some of us have coaches with the hump. This is known as the Hasting Hump, designed by Newell owner Harry Hastings. I had the privilege to live on a boat in a marina owned by Harry for 10 years. He introduced me to Newell’s. Harry is currently 91, and over his lifetime built 6 Newell’s, 2 of which he said he only owned a week before Newell purchased them back for show coaches. Harry told me he was involved with many Newell firsts listed below.
- 1st sink in a slide out
- 1st kitchen in a slide out
- 1st coach with a 14’ width on 2 living room Valid slides
- 1st extendable bed so you could walk around with slides closed
- 2 bedroom coach via hidden partition in walls of living room
- if I understood correctly he was involved in lowering the floor over the engine for a rear bath

I was able to tour the last coach he built 2004 this week, which had the above and many more features. He is a fan of the Detroit Series 60, and decided to stick with it instead of moving to the newer EPA engine. It was sure fun getting some perspective from an owner that influenced our coaches.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

I found this from 2013

http://www.newellcoach.com/2013/05/14/cu...-original/

I am the head caretaker and floor sweeper on my dads coach. Also the one who drives it to Oklahoma for him for service.
2005 Coach 730

Excellent article and aligns with what he told me. He still has that Spartan trailer in his personal museum, and the woodwork inside is artwork.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

"personal museum"

I need way more passive income.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

What a terrific story...