You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dash disassembled

Wow, I am amazed at how much quieter the coach is with velcro holding the dash top in place instead of the Christmas trees. If you have not replaced the Christmas trees with velcro I recommend you take a tip from Richard and make the switch.

I did it a bit different than Richard. I put the soft side of the 1" sticky back Velcro around the perimeter of the hard black plastic permanent dash. Then I snipped all the Christmas trees except 1 on each end of the top part of the removable dash. I kept those for alignment. The rough side of the velcro, I installed on the backside of the removable dash in (4) 12" sections, starting at one end from Christmas tree to Christmas tree, skipping a section, then velcros on another section. Skip a section, velcro on another section, etc. Thus, I did not use across the entire top edge for fear of too much stickiness making alignment difficult. I did not put any acrosss the bottom, thinking it did not really need it for holding power, and it was riding on the soft side of the Velcro to eliminate squeaks. Per Richard's idea, I used (4) paint sticks set on the hard plastic dash facing forward-aft during installation. This allowed me to set the dash in place but not sticking the Velcro. I started at the left, aligned the one Christmas tree, then began removing the paint sticks 1 at a time left to right as I aligned and installed, with the right Christmas tree being the last to insert in the hole for alignment. I pressed on the dash to firmly stick the Velcro. Now it is quiet, does not squeak, and easy to remove and install. Thanks Richard for the excellent modification!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Mike,

So you only have velcro on the top edge and not the bottom? On my coach, It seems as if I put the bottom trees in the holes and then have to kinda bend the removable piece forward to get the other trees to align.

I am getting ready to recover the removable piece and am getting my plan together. (I plan on attaching with velcro)

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(10-29-2018, 11:39 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Mike,

So you only have velcro on the top edge and not the bottom?  On my coach, It seems as if I put the bottom trees in the holes and then have to kinda bend the removable piece forward to get the other trees to align.

I am getting ready to recover the removable piece and am getting my plan together.  (I plan on attaching with velcro)

bill

Bill, the non-removable dash, I put the soft side of the velcro completely around. On the removable dash top, I left only 1 Christmas tree on each end for alignment, and only put qty=4 12” sections of velcro on the top side of the removable dash. Nothing on the bottom side, but it is resting on the soft velcro and not the hard plastic of the permanent dash, so no vibration noise. Richard’s paint stick idea worked excellent for installation.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model