You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbe to Forum

Hello, we plan on purchasing either a Newell or Prevost within the next couple of years.  I've researched both quite extensively and lean more towards the Newells.  Been to the shows and always ask the questions which handles better, which are more reliable, easier to maintain, ease of towing for repair, caging brakes, disconnecting drives, tandems, etc.  Working on house fixtures, wiring, plumbing and all the things that go with Luxury Coaches.  Of course it has always been talking with sales folks.  Each always has biases towards their Coaches, one thing has always been don't drive either unless your planning to purchase. 

Currently own a CC Affinity for the last 8 years and love it but will be moving up and tired of having a Coach that is no longer manufactured.  Replacement parts get harder to find and replace.  Not new to having an RV (Repair Vehicle), first was a 1971 Champion, didn't even have a house battery or water pump, all wood and was like driving a sail.  Have been through the gambit of replacing and fixing things, some of it a labor of love. 

All suggestions and thoughts will be welcomed, love the site and enjoy reading the posts.  Hopefully one day will have a Newell in our signature. 

Thanks!

2000 Country Coach Affinity C12
2006 VW TDI Toad
2012 Chevy Traverse 2nd Toad (When taking the "Cricket")

1994 Wellcraft Portofino 2x 3208's 

Hi Max, Welcome....You will fit right in with this bunch!!! I'll let u drive my ol' 93 Newell sometime if u want....it's not for sale , though :-)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Welcome, please ask any questions you might have. We have folks here with coaches from the 1970's up to almost brand new.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(02-26-2017, 02:33 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Hi Max, Welcome....You will fit right in with this bunch!!!  I'll let u drive my ol' 93 Newell sometime if u want....it's not for sale , though   :-)

Thanks, I'm actually going to take up Panterra Coaches in Michigan to drive both their Newells and Prevosts this summer.  They have a 2003 that doesn't have the steer tandem, will be looking at 2004 or newer once were ready.  

Really appreciate the offer.

Thanks again,

Max

(02-26-2017, 05:36 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Welcome, please ask any questions you might have. We have folks here with coaches from the 1970's up to almost brand new.

Thanks, I'm sure I will have plenty.

Max

2006 VW TDI Toad

There is only one situation in which I prefer a Prevost; driving on salty roads. Newell has a steel chassis structure overlaid with aluminum skin. The two metals are separated in various ways to prevent corrosion due to dissimilar metals, especially in the presence of salt and moisture. If that separation fails and you drive on salted roads you will get holes in the aluminum skin amazingly quickly. On the older coaches that used polyethylene film as the separator it would be wise to verify its integrity before venturing near salt. Prevost use materials of construction that don't have this issue, they will however be heavier.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

We came real close to buying a Newell from Panterra a few years ago. They are about 2 hours north of my location. I can offer an electric hook-up if you need when you pass through.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Welcome aboard. One thing that attracted many of us was the fact that Newell uses very few things that are proprietary. The body panels and caps are obviously Newell. Depending upon year, slides will be HWH or Valid. The rest of the stuff can usually be repaired with a trip to a OTR truck supply house, Mcmaster Carr or Grainger, or the HD/Lowes. When you start moving up into the later model coaches, either Prevost or Newell, pay close attention the master control systems. Most of the gurus have the old school analog switches, but the newer stuff is all tied to a master controller. I would make sure I knew which control system and the available support before purchasing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(02-26-2017, 07:29 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  We came real close to buying a Newell from Panterra a few years ago. They are about 2 hours north of my location. I can offer an electric hook-up if you need when you pass through.
Thanks, originally from Michigan, still have lots of family and friends there.  Yet, thanks for the offer.

2006 VW TDI Toad

(02-26-2017, 07:25 PM)77newell Wrote:  There is only one situation in which I prefer a Prevost; driving on salty roads. Newell has a steel chassis structure overlaid with aluminum skin. The two metals are separated in various ways to prevent corrosion due to dissimilar metals, especially in the presence of salt and moisture. If that separation fails and you drive on salted roads you will get holes in the aluminum skin amazingly quickly. On the older coaches that used polyethylene film as the separator it would be wise to verify its integrity before venturing near salt. Prevost use materials of construction that don't have this issue, they will however be heavier.

That's good to know.  I just had my entire coach refit with new metal around bottom and tops of bays.  Plus whole rear section when I put in new Tranny cooler and Radiator.  Learned the hard way with Country Coach.  They did a real good job treating the chassis frame and main cross members but the bay areas are just exposed steel.   We use to live in Michigan and used our Coach all winter, it was a lot of fun to have a park plow out a place for us to park.  The individual I bought it from warned me about salt, I didn't heed his advice and literally paid for it.    

When you say older Coaches, what numbers and below?

2006 VW TDI Toad

(02-27-2017, 05:50 AM)Richard Wrote:  Welcome aboard. One thing that attracted many of us was the fact that Newell uses very few things that are proprietary. The body panels and caps are obviously Newell.  Depending upon year, slides will be HWH or Valid. The rest of the stuff can usually be repaired with a trip to a OTR truck supply house, Mcmaster Carr or Grainger, or the HD/Lowes. When you start moving up into the later model coaches, either Prevost or Newell, pay close attention the master control systems. Most of the gurus have the old school analog switches, but the newer stuff is all tied to a master controller. I would make sure I knew which control system and the available support before purchasing.

Thanks, are the Master controllers repairable?  With my Coach it has 4 different computers (controllers), Cat, ABS/ATC Brakes (Merit?), Allison and CC's controller.  All of CC's was manufactured in house and when something goes it becomes a job to replace. I've taken the boards out and have had computer geeks fix them when one goes bad.  All switches are analog and can only find them now in Marine applications.  And, I don't know with Newells and Prevosts but when one computer quits talking to another, a lot of lights and things start happening that don't make sense.  

As long as the controller can be fixed and is accessible and doesn't cost as much as the coach.  I can work with that.   
Thanks again.

2006 VW TDI Toad