You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trailer laws

We currently tow 4 down a VW Beetle and a Traverse (when we carry our Cricket).  We have thought about enclosed trailers.  A long time ago we had a dolly to Tow our BMW but that was always a pain when we got to a place to just stay the night and had to take car off, unhook and then put the dolly somewhere. 

My question on trailers has been the laws.  We have a 40 footer now and will move up to a 45 footer.  Adding 28 or 30 feet surpasses some of the State laws.  Had a friend once bringing his race car on a stacker and Toy Hauler and was stopped due to length.  It was a few years back, has it changed now?

2000 Country Coach Affinity C12
2006 VW TDI Toad
2012 Chevy Traverse 2nd Toad (When taking the "Cricket")

1994 Wellcraft Portofino 2x 3208's 

California Highway Patrol can be a stickler on overall length. I am not personally aware of other states being as stringent. However, even in California, they will typically only stop you if you are violating some other law also (think speed) then you get two tickets instead of one.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(03-04-2017, 02:37 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  California Highway Patrol can be a stickler on overall length. I am not personally aware of other states being as stringent. However, even in California, they will typically only stop you if you are violating some other law also (think speed) then you get two tickets instead of one.

I have been towing for 17 years and have only been ticketed one time for over length and that one was in CA. I was stop for speeding and he measured the coach and vehicle which was over. He was nice enough to write me for overlength instead of speeding which was better for me. I would not worry about length if you just obey all the other laws.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

What is the limit that CA has for overall length?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

65' for motorhomes towing with a max speed of 55 mph in California.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I towed a 26' trailer behind our 45' Newell and was ticketed once in 200,000 miles. Guess where? Never had any other issues!

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Michael, if I remember correctly, the California coach measurement of 45' does not include the tow bar.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

You are correct Chester. However the 65' overall length includes everything from the front of the RV to the rear of the tow vehicle or trailer. The CHP carry a 100' tape measure and just lay it out on the side of the road if you want them to prove you are over 65' although most of them have measured enough of them that they will pretty much know if you are over even before they measure it. A motorhome in California is referred to in their laws as a 'house car'.

California Vehicle Code 35402. (a) Any extension used to increase the carrying capacity of a vehicle shall be included in measuring the length of a vehicle. However, a drawbar shall be included in measuring the overall length of a combination of vehicles, but not the length of a vehicle.

California is a weird duck anyway since 'house cars' over 40' are only legally allowed on certain highways and on interstates as designated by Caltrans.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

You can download a .pdf showing all of the highways in California that prohibit our 45' coaches.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/bus/bus-map.html

12 pdf's must be downloaded to cover the entire state.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com