You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trailer laws

We currently tow 4 down a VW Beetle and a Traverse (when we carry our Cricket).  We have thought about enclosed trailers.  A long time ago we had a dolly to Tow our BMW but that was always a pain when we got to a place to just stay the night and had to take car off, unhook and then put the dolly somewhere. 

My question on trailers has been the laws.  We have a 40 footer now and will move up to a 45 footer.  Adding 28 or 30 feet surpasses some of the State laws.  Had a friend once bringing his race car on a stacker and Toy Hauler and was stopped due to length.  It was a few years back, has it changed now?

2000 Country Coach Affinity C12
2006 VW TDI Toad
2012 Chevy Traverse 2nd Toad (When taking the "Cricket")

1994 Wellcraft Portofino 2x 3208's 

Is your VW beetle a stick shift? My wife is interested in a VW beetle convertible, and it would be nice tow, but I have not researched the car much yet.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

A friend told me VW no longer produces the convertible.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hi Chester. They still make VW beetle convertibles. We drove one a few weeks back. I was hoping my wife would not like it, but that did not work. How does one go from a BMW hard top convertible to a beetle soft top - cuteness ? Here is the website http://www.vw.com/models/beetle-convertible/

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(03-04-2017, 07:01 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  Is your VW beetle a stick shift? My wife is interested in a VW beetle convertible, and it would be nice tow, but I have not researched the car much yet.

Yes they have to be a standard shift to tow.  VW will not endorse nor tell you can for liability issues.  Yet Blue Ox makes everything you need and you don't even know their back there.  Wev'e towed ours since 2006 (new) and has over 200000 miles on it. It's been towed at least 700000 of that.

2006 VW TDI Toad

I was looking at the TDI Sportwagens manual shift. I had two different VW dealers tell me that if I towed four down that VW would void the warranty. Something you might want to look into.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(03-09-2017, 06:44 AM)Richard Wrote:  I was looking at the TDI Sportwagens manual shift. I had two different VW dealers tell me that if I towed four down that VW would void the warranty. Something you might want to look into.

That's true, they will void the warranty, same as Mini's.  Waranty for ours was only to 35000 miles or 5 years. I was driving it over 700 miles a week Warantywas done pretty quick.  Plus they will void it if you don't bring it to them for oil changes too.

2006 VW TDI Toad

I tow a 2007 Civic that Honda doesn't approve for towing. They got fed up with people not following the towing procedure, toasting the tranny, and then wanting Honda to repair on warranty.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed