You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Panel lighting strips

There are at least five places in my coach where the panel switch words are back lit with a light strip.  Three of the place no longer light up.  The panel over the cook range has thee such strips and none of them light.  Is there a fuse or something that I can do to make them work?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Update. I removed the light strips and installed LED lights on the wood panel behind the wires. Tied the LEDs to the overhead light switch. At least now I can read the words which were too faint with the light strips.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester,

I found a post about Californianeon (the company that builds the transformers) on the old website...but think your idea about using LED is inspired!

A person could put RGB LED strips behind the panel and have any color they desired.

Did you attach the LED tape to the plastic panel or just put a strip in the cavity behind the panel?

As an aside....I found that the panel above the driver did not light up....guess what!!? There was no lighting strip there at all. Now it has the newer luminescent panel technology, but it would have been way cheaper to use LED strips.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, I took the easy way out. I stripped out the old strip lights and installed two LED (each with 18 small lights) on the wood panel behind the wiring. This is not the best solution since the wiring blocks some of the light, but all words can now be read but not equally.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

I am following this with great interest. Newell used a system for the factory backlighting that utilized a high frequency transformer to power the lights. Mine squeals. I hate the noise. Yes, I have replaced them with new ones. They squealed after a few months. LED is the way to go.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Any part numbers or pictures?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Hey Richard in a year or 2 you probably won't be able to hear the squeal. Ha! ain't getting old great?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337