You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Strange Electrical Issue

Just to be safe, I am running the A/Cs on low (one compressor each) until I can relocate. In the 90s here in Arizona. Glad In installed relays on the A/Cs.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

If Richard's premise is true for this particular campground, then it is likely all the 50 amp circuits are running on a single supply line which means that wherever you are in this place the power supply situation is identical. Yikes.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Richard: if you were to duplicate the total power provided by Chester's campground wouldn't the equivalent be either a three wire cable capable of handling 50 amps or a 4 wire cable capable of 25 amps per leg not the doubled 50 amps per line. For the campground to supply two fifty amp lines to the coach from a single underground line would mean a humongous underground wire.

Jon Kabbe

Jon, the cable required for the 50 amp service is 6/3, which actually has four wires. One neutral, two hot, and ground. The 6 gauge is rated for 50 amps. But as @"RussWhite" educated me, the neutral is not overloaded since the two hot legs are out of phase so they essentially cancel.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard: yeah, I know that is the standard practice. I was musing on what the campground was attempting and how it could be beneficial. If all their 50 amp outlets were having both sides fed by a single to make available a total of 100 amps, albeit in phase with each other so no 240V, that would be a much larger cable than 6 gauge. If the cable was serving 10 sites the single line would need to be rated for 1000 amps, if conventionally wired it would only need to be rated for 500 amps , per line, and our 240V stuff would work. For the 1000 amp 3 wire setup, both power and neutral have to be sized for 1000 amps. In the 240V 4 wire setup, L1, L2, and neutral would each be rated for 500 amps. It just seemed to me that that the price of the wire might not be that different. But, that is just the engineer in me trying to understand what the heck they were accomplishing, I'm still clueless. That isn't new.

Jon Kabbe