You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2017 Summer Travel

Rhonda is planning another loop of the west for this summer. You know she plans everything down to having every reservation before the coach rolls. She is finding lots of popular RV camps BOOKED. The reservations people she is talking to are commenting that it looks to be their busiest season ever. I suppose the economy has been good long enough that the RV business has rebounded and fuel is still relatively cheap. 

Just sayin that if you plan on traveling this summer, it might be good to make some calls.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We've ran into the same issue. This summer seems to be the most booked we've seen.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Yep, I had the problem last year everywhere in the West. The RV industry has sold a large amount of RVs in the last few years, but few parks have been built. The problem is most acute in the large western cities and we had better luck in the countryside and smaller cities. We have a month reserved late in the summer on the Oregon Coast, but otherwise we have the same problem.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

We have had problems recently having to move because parks were booked up in advance. We had to move out of park in St. George,UT & had to stay in Littlefield.AZ for days as Mesquite, NV was also booked due to NASCAR. Nice thing about "huge" holding tanks is that we can always dry camp for a few days as long as we can find a truckstop or somewhere we can run generator without being offensive.

I've always a spot at Lake Tahoe....

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

We dry camp a lot more now than we used to and now often times prefer it. It's nice having a good campground though, especially for longer stays. I think there is a huge shortage of nice campgrounds, especially outside of typical snowbird (FL, Palm Springs, etc) or tourist type locations. "Nice" is subjective obviously, but if you have a Newell of any vintage nice generally means bigger lot, level, clean, etc.

The shortage of nice (and available) RV resorts has created the classic economic 101 situation where demand exceeds supply, especially during peak seasons.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

We just reserved several days in Ocean Lakes Family Campground in Myrtle Beach for early August. There were only a few large sites left..

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

This is foreboding for me given my typical extemporaneous travel style. Planning ahead hasn't been my style. Hmm, not sure how to respond if this turns out to reduce my travel. Life is tradeoffs, maybe I really do need to learn to plan ahead. Yikes, my late wife wouldn't recognize me Smile

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed