You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Spring break 2017

We left WI Friday night after work, caught some sleep at the Pilot south of St. Louis then drove through a few monsoon rainstorms in MO and MS.
Headwinds / crosswinds all the way, 1002 miles, 70 mph cruise, almost 8 mpg.

We're spending the week at Fountainbleu State Park in LA.
Our site has full hookups so I spent some time yesterday after we arrived de-winterizing.

Sunny and in the 80's today, a nice change from the Midwest spring.

Scott

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Nice! Hope you have a great time!

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

We're you going south through Memphis or around that area? With a small SUV in Tow?  We met a beautiful Newell as we were going North.  I was guessing it was a late 70's.  Dark maroon stripes on aluminum.  We were going to chase the coach down to see who it was.  We were staying just ahead of the storm going home from Chatum, Mississippi.

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

That's my coach (maroon) I was towing a green Ford Escape, we went through Memphis on Saturday morning.
We're back home this afternoon.
Good trip, sunny and 80's, except rain most of Thursday.
Went on a swamp tour, spent some time fishing in the bayou, did some swimming and sat on the beach,  wandered around New Orleans had lunch and a few drinks.
Back to reality tomorrow.  ☹️

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
"Any other Way"

We had a great time also. Caught several hundred fish and brought home our limit of giant Crappie. Fished for a week and drove home in front of the storm. Not that you would of noticed us with all the boats going up and down that road but we had a silver Chevrolet dully with a white Lowe bass boat.

If your ever around Cedar Rapids, Iowa stop by. We have a parking spot with utilities and a shop if needed.

Stay safe,
Roy...

What engine did your Coach come with? I have the Cat V8. Looking t a Cummins re power. Are you happy with the 8.3? Any idea of our MPG?

Thanks

Noted MPH from your above post.

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

MPG......

I originally had a 903 v8 Cummins, it typically would get around 6-7mpg, your CAT is probably similar.

I'm very happy with the 8.3 / 6 speed, it has good power and will get 9+ mpg if there aren't headwinds.
I'm pretty sure mine is not quite stock, the is fuel turned up a bit and the timing advanced, I'm running a straight pipe (no muffler) as well.  It does not idle with the same sound (sharper combustion knock) as my friends 300 hp 8.3 of the same year.
My coach runs right with him but weighs 5k-8k more and I'm towing.
Install boost and pyro gauges if you don't have them, I have only had to back out of the throttle a few times when going uphill in 6th with a headwind on a hot day; but not knowing could hurt.
I believe 1995 is the last year of the mechanical version, after that the electronics can add some complexity to a swap.
PM me if you have more questions, I'd be happy to share what I know.

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
"Any other Way"

Thanks Scott,

I'm looking into it. I have a stock Cat 1160 just like mine on a pallet so I have a backup but I like the Cummins better.

Thanks.