You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Glide-outs seal and runner lube

Hello all, I have a couple glide-out questions from a newbies perspective that I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on. First, I've heard mention frequently that one should check the seal to make sure it's not sticking to the glide before retracting the glide.  This is easily done on the vertical sides and the horizontal bottom, but how about the horizontal top of the slide? Or is the most potential for sticking on the vertical sides, as opposed to the horizontals on the top and bottom.?  Second question, looking at the bottoms of all of my glides, they have metal tracks that they slide in on, it appears. What should I lube them with? Thank you all in advance!

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

Bryan, first check to see if your coach is equipped with vacuum pumps for the seals. If so, the vac pump will pull the seal flat and no worries about it sticking.

The vac pump will be located at the pressure regulator for the seal. Look under the salon seal in the middle bay.

The bedroom ones are little more sneaky to find. Mine is under a panel, under the bed storage.

If you don't have the vac pumps, some dust the seals with baby powder.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Richard, I need (still) to get the vacuum pump after fighting for a year with the slides every time we want to move the coach and use the slides. What is the part number for the slide vacuum pump(s)? Where did you get yours please?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

My coach had them when I bought it.

The pump is https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-904-214-Me...B001KQF6PC

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

hi richard,

i bought the 2 dorman vacuum pumps....btw, it is exactly the same pump that is on my F350 powerstroke.

i will use spade connectors for the wires, even though the pins are round. the insulated spade connectors fit with one side of the spade on each pin.

can you take a picture of the fittings they used coming off the solenoid valve at the exhaust port where the vacuum hose would connect going to the vacuum pump? i have not been successful in finding a 1/4" male NPT to 7/64 barb adapter fitting.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks to me like they just used a 1/4 barb and forced it into the rubber hose.

My bad, you are talking about the vac pump.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

ok, richard. what you show does not work on mine.

the "T" coming off the vacuum pump on yours has a DOT air line on it going to a standard 90 degree air fitting that is in the exhaust port on the solenoid. i had already tried that. the DOT air line freely slides on and off the "T" and does not seal. i have 7/64" vacuum hose that fits on that vacuum pump but have no way to get it into the exhaust port of the solenoid. i was hoping to see how yours was plumbed into the solenoid.

so they must have glued or did something to fit that air line onto the vacuum pump so it seals.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH