You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tom Sawyer RV Resort in West Memphis, AR

I've mentioned in a couple recent posts about watching the amazing river traffic on the Mississippi. The park in right on the river, even in it at flood stages, just across the river from Memphis (think Graceland, Sun Record, Stax Records, The Lorraine Motel and Civil Rights Museum, great BBQ, and lots of other things to do) via two Interstate highway bridges. There are three sections to the park. One section is back away from the river and the other two sections are right on the river. One of those is set up so motorhomes face the river through the windshield and the other section is set up for 5th wheels to have their tails toward the river. I'm currently in the latter section and parked "backwards" which requires running the utilities under the coach to get to the hookups. That inconvenience is more than worth the effort to get a great view of the river. I'm literally a coach length away from being in the water.

Currently, due to flooding to the north there is an amazing amount of driftwood floating by. Driftwood is like clouds in the sky, you can imagine they are all sorts of thing. My favorite is that the driftwood looks like mythic river monsters of all sorts of crazy shapes and movements. You can tell I'm easily entertained.

The sites are mostly long enough for our coaches and the while there are some gravel roads the turns are wide and the trees cut high. Some sites are paved. The approach road passes over the levee but I don't see any marks indicating bottoming out and in my 39ft coach it never occurred to me to worry. Just be prepared for a steep rise and decline, thankfully both are short.

Lots of travelers stop here for the night, get enthralled and regret not staying longer. It's about 2.5 miles off both I-40 and I-55.

I hope this helps

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon,

I love that park and have been there many, many times. The folks that run it live on site and are always helpful and nice.

The two open areas are terrific to let the dogs "run wild".

Best is to make reservations early and ask for a spot on "the front row" to get best view of river. Also, its kinda hit and miss as to whether your satellite dish will work. (Large trees between the sites).

Also, don't trust your GPS. Follow the directions that they have on their website.

Thanks for reporting "from the mighty Mississippi".

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Follow Bill's advice on GPS routing. I know that coming from the west it will take you to a railroad crossing that will high point your coach and would otherwise require backing up in difficult circumstance. That high point would be the low point of your trip.

The 5th wheel area does not have trees and since I'm located in it it will work for our coaches as long as you are willing to run your utility connections under the coach to the opposite side. From a perspective of the available view from the coach there is little difference between the motorhome and 5th wheel areas. I've stayed in both, the views are somewhat different but one is not better than the other IMHO.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed