You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air suspension seat surprise.

Headed north from Memphis in the middle of nowhere KABOOM, hissssssssss. Apparently the HCV for the passenger seat went terrorist and exploded the air suspension bladder. I pulled over and put a kink in the supply tube and tied it off. A cop pulled up, asked if there was a problem. I explained what happened. He asked if I needed anything. I relied "Yup, a laundry" Tongue

Now I get to explore yet another coach system. I hope parts are still available.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I know exactly where that hose connects! Look in the front passenger basement compartment and where the generator compartment slide knob is there is a tee. I think the line going up into the floor is the supply for the seat. Had that line come off the seat just before entering the Mobile tunnel. Kinda gets your attention don't it?
There also is a latch to lock the seat down if you don't use the air suspension. I think it is at the front seat base.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Depending on what brand you have and what you can find, you may consider what I did. I simply used a pneumatic paddle switch and fed it straight to the bladder. Yes the seat goes up when you get out of it. But the complex system Recaro used whipped me.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes Forest it does get your attention. Enough adrenaline to last the rest of the day.

According to some earlier posts on this site it is an ISRI suspension, it does appear similar to their parts illustration. I will figure it out after a long sleep. Do not try to cross Indianapolis during rush hour, it will wear you out.

Jon Kabbe

mine is an isri and there were zero parts avail for it and it is VERY complicated. after richard and i both spending hours trying to fix it. (mine would give a roller coaster ride, going full up and then back down), richard then just did what he did to his. i have a manual air valve that inflate and deflates on my command. works great and is simple. but, the seat does not float down like when it has no weight on it like it originally did

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have the Recaro. Parts search did not go well.

Here is what I did:
Using one additional toggle switch and repurposing one existing switch I have a kind of manual control that I like.
I installed a small air pressure regulator, adjustable with my left hand while driving. That allows me to have exactly the pressure needed to counter my weight on the bladder. Each year is just have to slightly increase the pressure :-)
The toggle switch controls a solenoid that turns the air on and off to the bladder. The repurposed rocker switch exhausts the air from the bladder.
Yes, the seat rises when I get out of it. When I get back, I press the exhaust switch and I drop down and am ready to ride.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks guys. Isri has parts but I don't know yet if they fit my seat. And I'm not sure if I want to continue with the HCV approach or go with a manual valve. I have set up a desk in front of the passenger seat. I get in and out a lot so the seat re-levels a lot and that consumes air. I put an air ride truck seat with manual control in the 77 coach and that seemed to me to provide better height adjustment than the electric controls the previous seat had.

Jon Kabbe

i would really be surprised if they have the right parts for your seat. and even if they do, the parts are stunningly expensive.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I got lucky, the failure was that the supply air connector fittING is held into the HCV by a U shaped clip. The chip fell out and the connector came out with such force it jammed between the floor and the seat structure. Based on the sound and that the tubing seemed secured on the end I wrongly assumed the air bag had blown. A small spring and plastic valve seat had also blown out but not lost so I was OK.

The HCV has two connections, one for supply and one to the bag. The U clip for the bag is prevented by steel structure from falling out. I put a dab of sealant on the supply clip in hopes of never agan hearing the KABOOM. With the accordion cover lifted in the right front corner you can see and add a dab if you wish.

Jon Kabbe