You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell making History with updated Design

If I can sell enough trailers I may not need to wait till 10 years...lol

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I was surprised this thread got so little attention discussing the new design.    Using the pictures, I didn't see a lot of change, so I went to Newell to see the new exterior design in person.  

My first impression was that it is not a head turner and just a tweaking of the old design overall.  This is not the total redisign like they did in late '06 with the new Porsche front nose.  The sides are basically the same, although they do kind of roll under at the bottom rather than come straight down.  The front has some new features and overall I like it, although it is basically the same.  The additional glass below the windshield has a cool looking logo that lights, but if I didn't already know it was glass it just looks like a black painted panel.  In recent years the headlight bezels looked like they were just bolted on to me.  In the new design the headlights are more molded into the body design & I like them better.  The lower edge of the nose now has a small spoiler that I find attractive.

When Newell changed the rear end design in '04 or '05 it became my favorite side of the Newells.  The rear of the new designed coach is a total change from the past and my first impression was that it could be almost any other diesel pusher rear end currently out there.  The new rear end no longer has the unique "Newell look".  Instead of slanting back it now smoothly curves forward.  It appears that Newell wanted to open up the rear & passenger side of the engine compartment, probably to release heat, but chose to do so with very little style.  The rear & side panels now have large openings with screen behind them, but it has no depth like I feel the series 60 & recent design had.

One thing I have noticed recently is I feel the new paint work is outstanding!

Any one else have an opinion?

JMHO...........................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve

I agree the rear just isn't as attractive as it used to be! Lol Smile

Seriously I like the previous rear better. More aggressive and unique to Newell.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I was always taught that if you do not have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

Er...."nothing at all".

I can say that I absolutely love the way the 2014-16 coaches look . The back end is inspired and the front is very unique without being gaudy. With that said, I can also say that the newer style interiors are stunning. Great choices in design and materials.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

At first I thought 'what a dumb idea to use glass on the whole front! Any rock that hits it and it is all history'... BUT if you think about the thing that does the most damage in general it is not rocks but BUGS... Glass will make it much easier to keep the front end clean... Buy stock in Windex!
So in a few years they could make the entire front with Gorilla Glass like a giant iPad then you could make it any color/design you want (like a giant TV on the front)!...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Here's what's next!!!!
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/samsu...echnology/

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

About the bugs....

On my coach (240k miles)...The paint is terrific below the glass and not so hot above the glass. I assume that is because the bug hits above the glass are harder to get to and clean. I *do* have several rock hits below the glass which caused significant chips and even a dent in the stainless trim. But other than the chips the paint looks great.

I cannot even imagine how hot that black glass will get when driving into the sun. I suspect that the bugs will be baked onto the glass and will still be hard to remove.

Maybe they were solving a problem that did not really exist.

I guess time will tell.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I wonder how much $$ to replace the glass portion of front? I would assume small chips could be repaired like in a windshield?

If and that's a big IF, the glass lasts a reasonable time, is easily repairable when in does get chipped, and it is a relatively low cost replacement vs duration of use, then maybe it's a great way to keep the front end looking new vs paint. I know my 2003 was beat up pretty good in the front and the cost to repair in my opinion was too much.

If could be a great idea or an expensive experiment. Bills right. Only time will tell.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff