You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

dash air

my 2002 has an amazing dash air.  i did have to change the compressor when i got the coach 5 years ago or so, but it worked great when charged.  but it would lose charge in a week or so.  so after several years of just putting freon in it when i needed it to work, i went to task to find the leak.  of course with richards assistance.  air conditioning just doesnt compute with me, but i am learning.  

a year ago i traced the leak to the high pressure side hose fitting on the compressor.  i found a small shop about an hour from my house in an industrial strip mall that makes custom hoses.  i took the coach there, barely fitting in the small paths around the building.  he cut the old fitting off, remanned the one going into the compressor, crimped a new hose on, put 2 new dryers on, new caps and all for like 60 bucks or something like that.  

i went home, evacuated it, charged it up and things were good.  it has been about 9 months since i did that and since we are headed out soon, forest and i checked it out today.  of course i couldnt remember the readings i was supposed to get so dr richard was consulted.  

he reminded me to use the pressure/temp charts for an rv with longggg hoses, not an automotive chart.  

on startup today it blew cold, and the with 80 degree ambient i was at about 12psi low and 160 on the high side.  

so i put a few ounces of freon in it and it was at 16-18 low and 180 high.  blowing about 30 degree air at dash.  

so, the hose fix worked and was cheap

and maybe i will remember the charge readings this time....or not

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

That is great Tom. Super inexpensive fix to your problem. Big thumbs up to Richard for his continued air conditioner expertise.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

smart me didnt check the 2 new fan belts i put on last week often enough for stretching. i tightened them on the 3rd day and they were pretty loose. should have checked them again as they shredded today. could tell as the dash air went from freezing to warm very quickly. easy fix.

lesson learned. recheck those 6 foot long belts frequently after replacing them

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Oops, I was gonna remind you to check them. At least you got the right number this time.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337