You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Play in Steering Gear

i am doing the same thing on the 99 coach i recently acquired. we took the steering column and all out. it is a gm steering column that was commonly used in industrial equipment, more specifically steiger tractors and such.

the two u joints were worn as well. they are 3/4" and none of the local parts places ordered them.

they are moog 405 steering u joints. i paid 32 bucks for two of them shipped on rock auto.

the bottom bearing is available from

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/gm...ng-kit.php

at least according to them.... i will likely try richards approach though to the bottom bearing

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

i ordered the bottom bearing as well from grainger

BL

Radial Ball Bearing, Double Sealed, 0.7500" Bore Dia., 2.0000" Outside Dia.
Item # 35JC54

Price $9.90 / each

that blue piece of plastic that comes out of the bottom of the column that holds the bearing is about 4 inches long. it is very specific to this column and is almost a 150 bucks if you can find it....the new bearing goes into that plastic sleeve instead of the old one. slightly differntly and i will take pictures when i get the bearing

i am going to do the same thing for ten bucks.

that bearing kit for the bottom is over 80 bucks shipped is includes things you dont need.

i will post my results next week when i get them and me and my neighbor put it back together.

tom

Just my 2 cents here. Earlier this year I took my column apart, replaced what I thought needed replacing, locktited those pesky tilt assembly bolts which started the project , and found that no mater what I did, I could not compress the column to put it together. I called steering column services and spoke with the owner Doug Gan.
I sent the column to Doug and in 2 days got a call saying I really should replace the bottom bearing. He stocks all the components to make these repairs.

Long story short, he was correct. I got the column back in 5 days, and I am loving the Newell with no slack, no wander.

Steering Column Services
Douglas Gan
435 319-6011

[email protected]

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

finished do the replacing of parts today.  

changed out the ujoint crosses.  they are totally tight now, no slop. 

also pressed in the bearing like richard used into the plastic sleeve.  i used a compressor tool that is made for clutches on my polaris rzr.  

we put it all back together and have not driven it yet but is clearly much much tighter and no perceptible slop or play.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

While we where looking at our slide problem, Richard took one look at the steering column and highly recommended doing this mod and repair.  We had about an inch of back and forth play at the steering wheel while driving.  Accomplished the bearing mod and replacement of the steering u joints several weeks ago.  Finally got it out on a drive today....I have to say what a huge improvement.  Now, the coach is literally two finger steering with no discernible play.  If you haven't done this yet I highly recommend this project:-)

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I've got a couple questions for those of you that have done this. I'm going through this myself right now. I had a power steering issue a while back and had to wrestle the motorhome from Dallas to Miami OK w/o power assist and I suspect that was tough on some bearings and ujoints on the steering column.

I have the column removed from the motorhome. I have the wheel removed from the column. I'm hesitant to remove more on the top end where the electronics are in case i break something or can't get it all put back together... plus I don't know if I need to remove all that.

At the moment I have two questions:
1. Is there a ujoint at the top of the column for the tilt wheel that I need to get to and replace? I can't see that area because of the coverings around the switch and electronics.
2. How do you remove the blue plastic piece? Perhaps this requires the electronics and upper most end to be remove so that shaft that goes through the bearing comes out first, then the blue plastic piece?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Alan, On my '93 I removed the column and took it to a rebuilder in FortWayne , Indiana. The detents that held the wheel tilt in place had been damaged before I purchased the Newell. He rebuilt it and replaced anything that was worn. I'm a die-hard DIYer but it was worth the $150 he charged me.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Allan,
There are some pretty good videos on GM telescoping steering column rebuild on YouTube. Take lots of pictures and try to keep parts sorted out in order. The one Newell used I think came out of truck applications. They are a tad different but you should be able to get it done.You may need to buy a couple of specialty tools, but price is not bad. Also, some plastic pieces will be pretty brittle and difficult to find replacements for. JB Weld works ok to fix these.

I have about 2 '' of play i just put new tires and had alignment done it only has 70000 on it do you guys think the steering column needs to be redone

Greg Dollman 
Current 2000 553
Former 1997 Newell 443

Greg,

Let’s base the answer on diagnosis you can do. Remove the skirt around the steering column.

While observing the bottom of the steering column, look for any out of round movement of the rod exiting the steering column as you work the wheel back and forth. Also put your hand there and feel for any loose play. If you can feel ANY play, it needs a lower bearing.

Now look at the attachment of the rod exiting the steering column and how it is attached to the upper u joint. Is there any loose play? It should not have ANY play as you move the steering wheel.

Now, put your hands on the actual u joint. Move the steering wheel and feel for any relative motion between the upper and lower yokes. If you feel ANY the u joints should be replaced.

Now get under the coach (with proper support) and look at the intermediate steering shaft coming out of the floor and attached to the steering gear box. You may, and you may not, have a rubber isolation device installed on the intermediate shaft. Everyone I have seen is now kaput, with the rubber very soft. It allows a ton of free play. There is a post on how to remedy that.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )