You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

hwh slide seal vacuum pump installation

i installed the 2 vacuum pumps on the slide seals today.  took about an hour to do both of them.  the reason i put them on was to help the slide seal deflate and suck down so that there is less chance of the slide seal catching and rolling out of its mounting groove. this gives you a little extra clearance between the slide and the seal as you put the slide in and out.

i bought the dorman vacuum pumps that are used on superduty ford diesel trucks.  in fact i have a f350 that uses the same pump.  paid like 40 apiece so so for them.  

the regulator for the bedroom drivers side slide is in the small compartment on the passenger side in front of the engine bay.   the regulator for the front drivers side salon slide is in the 3rd compartment behind the front wheel on the driver side in the compartment where i have one of my basement air cons.  

the 2 pins that are inside the receptacle on the vacuum pumps are round.  so i used flat insulated spade connectors and pinched them with pliers to make them a snug fit on the round pins.  i crimped wires in the spade connectors that were attached to some used weatherpack 2 pin plugs i had laying around.  

the empty port on the solenoid is where the slide seal air escapes (exhaust port), so that is where i connected the hose that goes to the vacuum pump.  i used 7/64's vacuum hose and a 1/4" DOT compression brake line fitting and took the ferrell out and squeezed the compression nut over the vacuum hose and then pushed the hose on the sleeve that is in the fitting, then slid the nut down and tightened it.  not the way they are supposed to be used, but it worked and was snug.  i saw on richards that they used DOT stiff brake hose and then glued it to the vacuum pump, but i did it with vacuum hose and it was more flexible.  

since the motor is DC you have to make sure you have the polarity right on the vacuum pump.  i used the blue inline splice connectors to put the weatherpack plug on.    i taped the wires up to the pump to make sure they didnt vibrate off.

the solenoid must have multiple ports inside as it keeps constant pressure in the slide seal when not energized.  when you turn the key on the slide controller to release the air from the seal, it shuts off the air supply in the valve and exhausts the air from the seal out the exhaust port, which is now hooked up to the vacuum pump.  since i spliced the vacuum pump onto the wires for the solenoid, when the key is turned on, the valve opens and the vacuum pump starts up sucking the air out of the slide seals.  the pump has a pressure switch in it that turns it off when it reaches a certain level of vacuum.  that took about 60 seconds after the light on the hwh slide control panel went off. 

i mounted the pumps where they were out of the way and zip tied the wires up.  

it works great.   

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Good post Tom........................Thanks

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Tom - like it! Beats running my specially modified yard stick all around the seal. I just might forget to do that sometime. I knew in general about this mod, but it all came together when you mentioned the switch in the pump that turns it off. Now off to order the pumps.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Tom, to find out if my coach has vacuum pumps, should I look where you installed yours? Or, are the located elsewhere?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

they would be right next to the regulator and solenoid for the slide. the location of those i am sure probably varies coach by coach but it would look exactly the same.

tom

Chester look in the bays on the driver side, approximately middle of the salon slide out. The solenoid, air regulator with gauge, and shutoff valve should be mounted to the bay wall.

The one for the bedroom slide in my coach is under the bed, under a access hatch.

My guess is that if you have one on the salon, then you would have one on the bedroom.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I completed this mod to my coach recently. I got the pumps and matching pigtails for less than $160 on Amazon Smiles. It takes a little over 1 minute for the bedroom seal to completely vacuum out and almost 2 minutes for the salon to vacuum out. I feel much better knowing I did this mod to help save $$$ on slide seal replacements.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

I have done a lot of upgrades on our coach since we purchased it. By far the slide seal vacuum pump upgrade has been the best money spent!

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

Is there a known model year / coach # that Newell made the vacuum pumps a standard feature?

i believe once they went to the valid slide system it has a vacuum pump built in. in 2004 or so

tom