You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Auxiliary air compressor and generator access

1987 #132
Getting to know the coach over the past few week has been interesting. I am stumped with a couple items. 
There is an auxiliary air compressor on the left (drivers side) basement bay. It operates okay but I don't know what it's function is. 
Secondly I am able to manually pull the generator compartment out but it looks like there is an air activated cylinder to power it out but I have no idea were the switch would be. 
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Fishinator, 
James & Dr. Jeanie 
1987-8V92 Coach#132

the air compressor is probably a gast.   that is what they used then.  it will keep your supply air pressure up when it is on.  so if you have any air powered things, like step cover, genny slide and to some extent your leveling system.  

on my 90 there was also a port to plug in an air hose.  

there should be a switch to turn it on either over the microwave or over the driver.  

to pump your tires up you will need an air doubler

in every air slide latch for the genny i have seen, it is in the upper part of the compartment that has the genny blower in it in front of the passenger side wheel.  at least on my 90, there was a choke cable with a knob on that released the catch on the genny, then an air valve with a round red knob on it to pull out to open the genny slide.  

if you can pull the genny out manually, either there is no air pressure in the genny slide cylinder or it is disconnected.  
how does it latch in?    when the air cylinder is working on the slide, it will also help hold the genny in.  

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(05-10-2017, 10:49 PM)encantotom Wrote:  the air compressor is probably a gast.   that is what they used then.  it will keep your supply air pressure up when it is on.  so if you have any air powered things, like step cover, genny slide and to some extent your leveling system.  

on my 90 there was also a port to plug in an air hose.  

there should be a switch to turn it on either over the microwave or over the driver.  

to pump your tires up you will need an air doubler

in every air slide latch for the genny i have seen, it is in the upper part of the compartment that has the genny blower in it in front of the passenger side wheel.  at least on my 90, there was a choke cable with a knob on that released the catch on the genny, then an air valve with a round red knob on it to pull out to open the genny slide.  

if you can pull the genny out manually, either there is no air pressure in the genny slide cylinder or it is disconnected.  
how does it latch in?    when the air cylinder is working on the slide, it will also help hold the genny in.  

tom

Found the red knob in the right side gen blower bay, thought it might be an emergency shut off of some kind. The gen slide would not pull out at first, didn't realize it was air pressure related. The latch chain is apparently broken, I'll repair that. Thanks for the help

Fishinator, 
James & Dr. Jeanie 
1987-8V92 Coach#132

If the gennie is locked shut cause the cable is broken or seized, you can access it by removing the blower and going in through that opening. It won't be an easy access, but it is an access. The latch will be on your left at the back of the compartment.

The main reason for having an auxiallary compressor for a non slide coach is for the potties and air doors.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

On my coach, there is a black safety knob above the red one. You have to pull the black one out, then pull red one out to get genny to slide. The black one is not very obvious.

Wait! How did you pull the genie out? If it just slides out with no latch...that would be very scary to drive like that.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

i would be surprised if his 87 had an air toilet. my 90 did not. does it? and do you have interior air doors?

when did interior air doors start in newells?

tom

You did not mention if the auxiliary air compressor is on when you release the generator safety latch. I may work just fine if it has air pressure.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Our '92 also has an access panel behind the generator compartment. You have to get under the coach to get to it. If you do that, be sure to safety crib the coach "just in case".

that genny slide should operate off of the pressure you have for the coach. the aux compressor just supplements it

tom

(05-11-2017, 02:24 PM)encantotom Wrote:  that genny slide should operate off of the pressure you have for the coach.  the aux compressor just supplements it

tom

Roger that, Thanks

Fishinator, 
James & Dr. Jeanie 
1987-8V92 Coach#132