You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

LED run and stop lights

Tom, I have purchased four sets of combination LED run and stop lights and one set of amber. I recall in a previous posting, perhaps on the old forum, that you replaced three of the red each side, but not the top center light. My plan is to wire all eight lights to work as both a run (tail) light and stop light. I am curious as to why you left the one red light original, and do you see any problem with my wiring plan.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

hi chester,

a few answers.

that 4th one is a non electric reflector. newell got the reflector and had to fabricate a mount for it as you will see when you take it out.

the first is that the reason i believe that newell fabricated a mount for the reflector in that 6 light group on each side in the rear is that there are either DOT either on the fed or state level regulations that require a red reflector in the rear. i did find that regulation today when i looked for texas that clearly state that they require the reflectors. the way car manufacturers get around it is to make the reflector as part of the tail light assembly.

so, i had heard that. the next reason is that to be honest, these new LED lights are so bright that having a 4th one on each side really isnt necessary in my opinion. these LED fixtures are very bright.

the last is just cost. i have done the conversion now on both of my newells and after seeing them on the 90, i didnt see the reason to spend the extra money on the 4th one.

certainly i have never heard of anyone being pulled over for not having a reflector....

if you ordered enough to do them all, i probably wouldnt worry about it. or if you were concerned, just put some simple reflective tape somewhere.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH