You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide #3 hydraulic problem

I am getting a new appreciation for our non-slide 1992 Hybrid.

CC I had the same thought, especially considering the added weight, tire issues etc. that is a part of a well built slide out coach. I understand the allure of slide outs. It is truly awesome to have that much living room while parked. If I were full timing I would want the room. Currently a non-slide coach fits our needs perfectly.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Bryan
Pay close attention to the limit switches for travel when you reassemble. It is possible that the hyd ram was going "hard" against one or the other of the slide limits and that may have contributed to the weld failure.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard - always a good idea to have the LS set correctly. But, back when I was designing using a LS to signal normal operational positions was common, but we were not allowed to use one as the only means to prevent equipment damage. Limits switches will fail eventually. So what happens then? We designed the power of the mover ( motor or hydraulics ) to be less than the structure could stand. In other words, it was okey to stall out the motor and trip an internal thermal breaker, blow a fuse, trip a breaker etc., but not okay to break a weld. From way too far away to make a good judgement I have to wonder about the design or the weld.
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Yeah I agree that it that is the way it should be.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Slide #3 is operational again. I'll share the repair process & a few pics later. Now it's cocktail time!

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

What a tease! My cocktail won't be nearly as good until I hear the details :-)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Hmmmm, it seems I failed to reply to this thread with info on my fix, sorry guys. 

Long story short on the fix, it was caused by a faulty weld at the end of the hydraulic cylinder; when said weld broke, it took with it two hydraulic lines.  So the fix was as simple as re-welding the hydraulic cylinder attachment nut and replacing the tow hydraulic lines.  Simple?  Not so much.  

I had to completely remove the entire bed platform, then the carpet.  Once the carpet was removed, I did find one access panel in the floor that allowed me to assess the damages, by holding my iPhone down under the floor and taking flash pictures.  Now I had to cut more holes in the floor to access the ends of the two hydraulic lines that had to be replaced (cyphering where to cut these holes was a bit of trial and error).  So I got the lines removed, and had new ones made. 

Side note:  below this floor, all in the same area, are several other hydraulic lines circling around, lots of electrical lines running thru, and some other lines that frankly I can't remember what they were.  Very messy area to play around in. 

Now it's time to re-weld the hydraulic cylinder nut.  (Another side note: I was very glad it was the rear cylinder that failed, as if it were the front one I would have had to remove a large section of the tile flooring to gain access.)  I had to enlarge the existing access hole to have room to perform the welding.  Then I cleaned to the best of my ability all of the spilled hydraulic fluid.  Now, I have my mechanic come in with his welding equipment to perform the weld, and this is much easier said than done.  He re-welded the hydraulic cylinder nut into place, then we installed the new lines that I had waiting. 

Now, with great anxiety, I press the "extend" button, and WOOHOO!, it works perfectly.  I added some hydraulic fluid to the reservoir, and the mechanical part of the process was complete. 

Now, I put the bedroom back together (again, easier said than done). 

All in all, this repair ate up nearly a week of my life; and now everytime I extend or retract one of the three HWH slides, I cross my fingers. 

I'll attach some pictures. 
Bryan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bryan
Ionia, MI

(08-13-2017, 06:36 PM)bryguymi Wrote:  Hmmmm, it seems I failed to reply to this thread with info on my fix, sorry guys. 

Long story short on the fix, it was caused by a faulty weld at the end of the hydraulic cylinder; when said weld broke, it took with it two hydraulic lines.  So the fix was as simple as re-welding the hydraulic cylinder attachment nut and replacing the tow hydraulic lines.  Simple?  Not so much.  

I had to completely remove the entire bed platform, then the carpet.  Once the carpet was removed, I did find one access panel in the floor that allowed me to assess the damages, by holding my iPhone down under the floor and taking flash pictures.  Now I had to cut more holes in the floor to access the ends of the two hydraulic lines that had to be replaced (cyphering where to cut these holes was a bit of trial and error).  So I got the lines removed, and had new ones made. 

Side note:  below this floor, all in the same area, are several other hydraulic lines circling around, lots of electrical lines running thru, and some other lines that frankly I can't remember what they were.  Very messy area to play around in. 

Now it's time to re-weld the hydraulic cylinder nut.  (Another side note: I was very glad it was the rear cylinder that failed, as if it were the front one I would have had to remove a large section of the tile flooring to gain access.)  I had to enlarge the existing access hole to have room to perform the welding.  Then I cleaned to the best of my ability all of the spilled hydraulic fluid.  Now, I have my mechanic come in with his welding equipment to perform the weld, and this is much easier said than done.  He re-welded the hydraulic cylinder nut into place, then we installed the new lines that I had waiting. 

Now, with great anxiety, I press the "extend" button, and WOOHOO!, it works perfectly.  I added some hydraulic fluid to the reservoir, and the mechanical part of the process was complete. 

Now, I put the bedroom back together (again, easier said than done). 

All in all, this repair ate up nearly a week of my life; and now everytime I extend or retract one of the three HWH slides, I cross my fingers. 

I'll attach some pictures. 
Bryan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bryan
Ionia, MI