You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lucky me

Stopped for fuel did a walk around and saw this... super lucky.. new tire in the morn..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

as a group we are keeping the tire industry in business here the past month

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

That's on your trailer? Have you weighed the trailer loaded?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I agree with Tom, seems extraordinary. After some research, I found two causes to the belt separation failure

1) Internal defect in the tire carcase, these appear randomly and seem to be relatively rare. There is nothing we can do to protect ourselves from these.

2) Running low air pressure relative to the carried load. This causes the flexure of the tire at the road contact area to be great enough to exceed the "give" built into the rubber between the belt and the carcase. Why this failure is happening to folks here who pay attention to their pressures frankly mystifies me. Monitoring air pressure is vital to preventing this failure, otherwise it's just bad luck.

If anyone knows someone at a bus company it would be nice to understand their experience. I can't believe they experience our failure rate, why the difference?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

The amount of care and quality of tires run on the GURUS coaches is top notch. I have a set of Goodyear 24.5 that came on this classic. They look great, but have a 2012 date code. Getting to be time to replace, for my peace of mind.

I see so many semis on the road, often with each tire being a different brand, and with the exception of the steer tires, most are recaps. Along with being recaps, it is legal to re recap the tires when they run out of tread. Beyond that, these tires are run at high speed, heavy loads, driven over curbs etc. Yes we see trucks on the side of the road with tire problems, but not with the frequency of our tire issues. Miles run by rvs, and  frequency of tire issues is astounding. Tires are my biggest concern when we travel. i

The greatest difference with commercial buses and trucks vs. rvs and rv trailers is tire age due to low miles put on annually on the coaches. I can't help but think age is a major culprit, but in many cases of failure here has been on "young" tires. I am going to have this coach weighed on all  four corners for a starting point on air pressure, but I don't expect any surprises, as this 84 ha such a low gvw compaired with the new coaches.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Class 8 semitruck/trailers have the opposite problem faced by most RV'ers. Truckers wear out the thread on their tires and put on recaps in a short time period, frequently a matter of months. Most of our tires sit and the sidewalls crack and they age out with all to often no visible thread wear after 3 to 5 years. Is it legal to recap tires, certainly but you don't want to do that on an old tire carcass. The tires on Class 8 trucks are probably less frequently overloaded than RV tires. A semi may weigh 80,000 pounds but that is spread over 18 tires. A Newell may weigh 50-60,000 pounds spread over 8 tires.

You are correct that high speeds are really hard on trucks as well as RV's. I am unaware of any truck/RV tire that is rated for speeds in excess of 75 mph but we see trucks/RV's traveling at speeds in excess of that on the interstates frequently. Hopefully every truck/RV driver checks their tire pressures daily. I typically shoot all my tires with a laser thermometer at rest stops during the day to insure the temperatures are similar. Additionally, sitting for a lengthy time is hard on RV tires. That is a problem that truckers rarely experience.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com