You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air ride and leveling issues

Ok. Talking with Newell they said that there are two more solenoids for the tag axle on the frame rail above the tags. There is a set of two on each side. There is one solenoid for each tag that exhausts air from the tags when you push the tag button on the dash down. The solenoids towards the front which have 3 air line going to them are supposedly the tag air bag fill solenoids. Does all the air that goes to the tag air bag go through that solenoid seeing there is 3 lines to it. Air from travel mode or air from level mode? The third line is the line going to the bag itself??? We can't see where the air line to the bag is going. It looks like it is running over to the 6 pack. Can somewhere tell us how this all works?

Ok.  Talking with Newell they said that there are two more solenoids for the tag axle on the frame rail above the tags.  There is a set of two on each side.  There is one solenoid for each tag that exhausts air from the tags when you push the tag button on the dash down.  The solenoids towards the front which have 3 air line going to them are supposedly the tag air bag fill solenoids.  Does all the air that goes to the tag air bag go through that solenoid seeing there is 3 lines to it.  Air from travel mode or air from level mode?  The third line is the line going to the bag itself???  We can't see where the air line to the bag is going.  It looks like it is running over to the 6 pack.  Can somewhere tell us how this all works?[attachment=5010]

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

Ok.

Let's start by ensuring the tag axle switch on the dash is in the center position. If it is not then place it in the center position.

That switch is used to let air into or out of the tag air bag independently of the drive bags. By placing air into the bag you can remove weight from the drive axle. Handy if crosssing Ohio turnpike scales which might flag you as slightly overweight on the drive axle. Or if stuck you can remove weight from the tag, putting more weight on the drive axle. Useful for snowy or icy, but careful if using that in mud or sand. You only dig deeper.

The way it works is that two solenoids are placed in line between the supply tank for the drive air bag and the supply tank for the tag air bank. The solenoids are THREE WAY. Important to keep that in mind. One solenoid valve is normally open to the drive tank and tag tank, when activated the port to the drive tank closes, and the third port is normal supply air. When that solenoid is activated, the path to the drive tank is closed and now the tag tank is getting 120 psi supply air.

The other three way solenoid normally connects the drive tank to the tag tank. However when it is activated the other port is exhaust. So when activated, it closes the tag tank from the drive tank, and connects the tag tank to exhaust the air.

If the tag switch is in the middle position, and the coach is in travel mode, does the tag bag inflate? Very important to answer that question before proceeding.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(08-29-2017, 05:02 PM)Richard Wrote:  Ok.

Let's start by ensuring the tag axle switch on the dash is in the center position. If it is not then place it in the center position.

That switch is used to let air into or out of the tag air bag independently of the drive bags. By placing air into the bag you can remove weight from the drive axle. Handy if crosssing Ohio turnpike scales which might flag you as slightly overweight on the drive axle. Or if stuck you can remove weight from the tag, putting more weight on the drive axle. Useful for snowy or icy, but careful if using that in mud or sand. You only dig deeper.

The way it works is that two solenoids are placed in line between the supply tank for the drive air bag and the supply tank for the tag air bank. The solenoids are THREE WAY. Important to keep that in mind. One solenoid valve is normally open to the drive tank and tag tank, when activated the port to the drive tank closes, and the third port is normal supply air. When that solenoid is activated, the path to the drive tank is closed and now the tag tank is getting 120 psi supply air.

The other three way solenoid normally connects the drive tank to the tag tank. However when it is activated the other port is exhaust. So when activated, it closes the tag tank from the drive tank, and connects the tag tank to exhaust the air.

If the tag switch is in the middle position, and the coach is in travel mode, does the tag bag inflate? Very important to answer that question before proceeding.

Ok we will start on this project again tomorrow afternoon. Should it make any difference if our rear slide out is out or not? We will post an answer to this question tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

no difference on slide in or out. But after all this odd corner behavior, make sure it is in travel mode and settled before bringing the slides in.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard: nice description. One question for my education. You say the drive axle tank connects through the solenoids to the tag axle tank, at least that's how I understood it. On my 93 coach the drive axle bags are fed by two tanks, one for each side, left and right. If the tag axle coaches have that same configuration, how do the separate left and right drive axle pressures get converted into a single pressure used by the tag bags? I've obviously missed something in your description and I'm clueless as to what it is. (a not unusual state of affairs)

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon, Our '92 has a pressure regulator and gauge in the engine compartment that controls air pressure to tag bags when in travel mode. ( I think!) Our tag switch is 2 position toggle, raise & lower.

Does the driver side tag air bag have its own supply tank or does it share with the drive air bags?

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

Can you possibly give me a run down or flow chart on how the air travels from compressor to the tag air bag. What solenoids it travels through etc.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

Yes, I will draw a picture, but it will be late this afternoon, and I am in Washington.
Rhonda and I are going for a hike before it gets hot.

We have Steve Bare @"rheavn" to thank for clearing up the tag arrangement some years ago.

As you already know there are two square tanks welded into the frame that act as reservoirs for the right and left drive bags. There is one tank welded into the frame that acts as the reservoir for the tag bags. HOWEVER!!!!! that tag tank has a partition welded in the middle so it is actually two tanks. The tag pressures are not tied together. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/foru...hlight=air is the original diagram

Some Newells had a separate sixpack for the tags. If yours has two sixpacks in the rear. None of this applies.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(08-30-2017, 09:45 AM)Richard Wrote:  Yes, I will draw a picture, but it will be late this afternoon, and I am in Washington.
Rhonda and I are going for a hike before it gets hot.

We have Steve Bare @"rheavn" to thank for clearing up the tag arrangement some years ago.

As you already know there are two square tanks welded into the frame that act as reservoirs for the right and left drive bags. There is one tank welded into the frame that acts as the reservoir for the tag bags. HOWEVER!!!!! that tag tank has a partition welded in the middle so it is actually two tanks. The tag pressures are not tied together. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/foru...hlight=air  is the original diagram

Some Newells had a separate sixpack for the tags. If yours has two sixpacks in the rear. None of this applies.

Wonderful diagram. Going out to trace the lines now.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465