You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air ride and leveling issues

Ok we have dumped the air totally and have put the coach on travel. Seeing we have our alternator off right now we can't start the engine so the lifting is going slowly. The passenger rear has lifted properly but we are still waiting for the driver side to lift. Question..... when you are in travel mode will the mercury pod have anything to do with leveling for travel or is it just controlled by the HCVs?

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

(08-30-2017, 12:01 PM)cfree3 Wrote:  Ok we have dumped the air totally and have put the coach on travel.  Seeing we have our alternator off right now we can't start the engine so the lifting is going slowly.  The passenger rear has lifted properly but we are still waiting for the driver side to lift.  Question..... when you are in travel mode will the mercury pod have anything to do with leveling for travel or is it just controlled by the HCVs?

HCV

1995 # 390

(08-30-2017, 12:16 PM)Keith Jordan Wrote:  
(08-30-2017, 12:01 PM)cfree3 Wrote:  Ok we have dumped the air totally and have put the coach on travel.  Seeing we have our alternator off right now we can't start the engine so the lifting is going slowly.  The passenger rear has lifted properly but we are still waiting for the driver side to lift.  Question..... when you are in travel mode will the mercury pod have anything to do with leveling for travel or is it just controlled by the HCVs?

HCV

We have a question whether the travel mode utilizes the mercury pod also for leveling? After dumping the air I saw that the front and the passenger side yellow lights were on indicating they needed to go up to travel but there was no yellow light on the driver side. That is the side that is not lifting properly. Are the yellow lights due to the mercury pod adjustment?

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

when in travel that pod in the bay for doing leveling using the keypad is NOT part of the travel mode.

in travel mode it is only using the height control valves like keith said

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

So why would yellow lights show up on the keypad after dumping all the air and then putting in to travel mode?  Is that normal to have the yellow lights come on the keypad in travel mode?  They come on for a few seconds after we push the travel mode button while the travel mode button is blinking red.  We had a new key pad installed at HWH last May.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

The mercury pod is used to tell the HWH panel if the coach is level. It is used when you put the HWH into autolevel.

When in travel mode, the HCV control the distance from the frame to the axle. If the coach is not sitting on level ground, you will get yellow lights when you first switch it on. The yellow lights will come on while the HWH brain is booting up, and they should go off when you get the green light.

It will take a long time to bring it to travel height with just the 120V compressor. A LONG time.

Second it takes about 90 psi or more to "float" my rear air bags. If your 120V compressor cuts off at 90, the coach may not reach travel height. What does your supply air gauge pressure read?

Would you confirm the coach travel solenoids are opening by seeing if they are magnetized while in travel mode. The ignition must be on for travel mode to function. Just because you get a green light doesn't mean you have voltage at the solenoids.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Here is a air system "textbook" from HWH.

Attached Files
.pdf ml20635.pdf Size: 334.86 KB  Downloads: 38

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(08-30-2017, 04:47 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  Here is a air system "textbook" from HWH.

Thanks for the text book.  This helps.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

(08-30-2017, 04:20 PM)Richard Wrote:  The mercury pod is used to tell the HWH panel if the coach is level. It is used when you put the HWH into autolevel.

When in travel mode, the HCV control the distance from the frame to the axle. If the coach is not sitting on level ground, you will get yellow lights when you first switch it on. The yellow lights will come on while the HWH brain is booting up, and they should go off when you get the green light.

It will take a long time to bring it to travel height with just the 120V compressor. A LONG time.

Second it takes about 90 psi or more to "float" my rear air bags. If your 120V compressor cuts off at 90, the coach may not reach travel height. What does your supply air gauge pressure read?

Would you confirm the coach travel solenoids are opening by seeing if they are magnetized while in travel mode. The ignition must be on for travel mode to function. Just because you get a green light doesn't mean you have voltage at the solenoids.

The travel solenoids were magnetized but Frank from HWH said we need to unplug and plug in the solenoid to make sure we here a good click to make sure they actually are working properly. We will checking that tomorrow.

We are hoping that we find that the travel solenoid is not working for the drivers side. At least we will know what is wrong. Can you tell me if there is any where else to buy these 6 pack solenoids or are they only available from HWH? I see from the text book that each 6 pack has 2 check valves. Could we have a bad check valve??

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

I am not known for tact, so please forgive me.
con
Was the coach working properly relative to leveling before you changed the HCVs?

I was taught to look for "what changed". If you wade through the posts, you changed the HCVs, then concluded they were in upside down. Then reversed them. Then you reported the driver tag won't inflate.
So it's important to know if the system was operating properly before the change. If it was, then let's go back on do some diagnostics on the HCV install.

I am confused about what you are observing. Is the problem the driver side rear will not raise? Is the problem the driver side tag will not inflate? Both?

If you look at the arm on the HCV, is it level? or pointed upward which would tell the HCV to put air in the bags?

We are trying to help, but we are limited on the full story, and you aren't answering questions about the situation that are asked. Sorry for my blunt comments, we are really really trying to help you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )