You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air ride and leveling issues

Throw parts at it if you wish!  There is only one way to test a HCV to determine if you need a new one.  See post #64.  Raise the coach above ride height and lower below ride height using the rod that controls the HCV.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Switch the two airlines on the hcv. My money is you have then reversed. And
Make
Sure you have a left
Side hcv. KORS are
Right and left sided. You don't have a tag problem if it's hard as a rock

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Well we figured out what was wrong. It seems with the new King of the Road HCVs we needed more air supply pressure to lift all the way. Talked to Newell and they reminder us where an adjustment could be made on the compressor back by the motor to boost the air pressure. Got it adjusted to 135 psi and everything is working properly now. Just in time to head west.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

I am having an issue with our coach leaning on the passenger side about 2-3" lower than the drivers side, in travel mode. It actually started leaning slightly but on the drivers side first. When I start the motor and it airs up it will lean to passenger side, but after I press the lift button for full lift, to be able to make tight turns getting out of my storage space, it levels out and I can then lower it by hitting the dump button and it seams to level out better but not 100%. The last time I drove it, about 100 miles, I noticed that when I got back, it appeared to still be in the raised mode and did not readjust after reaching 25 mph as it is supposed to. Another strange thing is that I no longer leave the compressors on while in storage ever since I had the slide seal replaced and the air evacuators installed, the slide seals will remain inflated without the compressor on. I addition, this past week, the coach, while in storage, has not dropped at all, while usually it would have bottomed out after only a few days of sitting. Not sure what is going on. I am in Franklin NC now and does anyone know of a reliable mechanic in this area?

Thanks
Dario Perini
#581 2001 45'8"
2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
2005 Mini JCW

Dario,

You put a lot of info in the post. Let's see if we can sort through this to see if you have a problem.

With the engine running, put the coach in level mode and dump the air from the bags. Now put the coach in travel mode, and let it come to travel height. Measure the distance to the ground at the wheel wells, and tell us what the measurements are.

The reason for letting the air out first, and then allow the height control valves to bring it to ride height, is that most HCVs have a dead spot right at ride height. Lowering from a raised position into the travel position gives you variable results and will drive you mad if trying to set the proper ride heights.

Also, I would not depend at all, in any circumstances, for the automatic feature to return the system to travel mode.

Let's determine if you are indeed in travel mode. I assume you have the HWH system. Do you get a green travel light on the HWH panel when you put it in travel mode? If you go to the six pack of HWH solenoids in the rear, are they magnetized (use a steel washer)?

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Richard, I will try to get to the coach either today or tomorrow and will let you know what I find

Dario

Dario,

You put a lot of info in the post. Let's see if we can sort through this to see if you have a problem.

With the engine running, put the coach in level mode and dump the air from the bags. Now put the coach in travel mode, and let it come to travel height. Measure the distance to the ground at the wheel wells, and tell us what the measurements are. 

The reason for letting the air out first, and then allow the height control valves to bring it to ride height, is that most HCVs have a dead spot right at ride height. Lowering from a raised position into the travel position gives you variable results and will drive you mad if trying to set the proper ride heights. 

Also, I would not depend at all, in any circumstances, for the automatic feature to return the system to travel mode. 

Let's determine if you are indeed in travel mode. I assume you have the HWH system. Do you get a green travel light on the HWH panel when you put it in travel mode? If you go to the six pack of HWH solenoids in the rear, are they magnetized (use a steel washer)? 

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Richard
I tried what you first suggested, dumping the air in level then raising it in travel mode, the green light comes on but it was still out of level. Next ie checked the solenoids and found that when I have the coach running and dumping the bags in level mode, the two middle solenoids are magnetized but when in travel mode, only the top one is magnetized and not the bottom one. During both modes, the two solenoids towards the very rear were never magnetized. Looks like this might be my problem, a new solenoid?

Thanks again for all of your great advice, and have a great 4th of July
Dario Perini

The two solenoids at very back are the raise solenoids, the two in the middle are the dump solenoids, and the one's closest to the firewall are the travel solenoids.

One of the travel solenoids not opening is going to cause all kinds of grief when in travel mode. First thing to check, is the soleniod getting power. With the key on, and in travel mode, unplug the Packard connector for the offending solenoid. You should have around 12V on the connection coming from the coach. If you do, then replace solenoid valve. If you don't, we now have to find out why.

In the HWH system, all four travel solenoids get a postive 12V signal from a common terminal on the control board. So, the fact that one of the travel solenoids is getting power tells us the board is functioning properly.

While you are testing this out, might be a good idea to test the front ones too. PLEASE put a crib or support under the front when playing with the system. We don't want to have a flat guru.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Richard

We will test it tomorrow 

Dario

If you want to call me, 817 223 2056, while you are at the coach, then it would cut down on the trouble shooting time. There are just too many possibilities, and I am too lazy, to type out a trouble shooting algorithm for every issue that you could run into. I am driving today, so I may have to call back. Leave a message.

You did a great job of providing clues in the first post, we just had to sort through the info.

With the passenger side travel valve inop, it explains why you could raise the coach, and manually let it down to ride height. However, the issue with that, is as you drive air could leak from the passenger side and there is no automatic way to keep it at the correct height. Sooner or later the coach sits on the tires at that corner, and all manner of calamity sets in.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad