You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air ride and leveling issues

when my time came, the label on the top of the bags was unreadable.

My coaches number 530.

These are the product numbers that fit my coach .

Front--W01-358-8087
Drive--W01-358-9447
Tag---W01-358-9378

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

You can tell where I've worked on the coach by the location of blood stains Sad

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

It feels good to be back level again! It was an interesting experience...

I got the name of a local repairman who came highly recommended by several people staying in the park as well as the people running the park. He came out on Monday and diagnosed the problem quickly, and I could tell he new his way around the air ride system, although he lacked the professional image. I was told and he confirmed he worked at Freightliner in the past but was out on his own now - you know the type - some are good and some not. The two new Drive axle airbags arrived Thursday afternoon. I had printed off all the advice from this forum on the topic including about Richard's advice cutting off the fitting, and using crows feet wrenches. I did try to get him to come prepared. He arrived about 5pm on Friday on the scheduled time. Crawled under, and had to leave to get a bigger wrench.

When he returned and told me what he was going to do I was suspect and a bit concerned but he seemed to know his business. He first "convinced' the 17 year old fitting in the top of the bag to come out. He then plugged the air line and loosened the air bag. I fired up the coach and lifted the coach using only 2 air bags on one side, while he pulled out the old air bag and installed the new one and tightened it down. I shut off coach and dumped the air. He connected the air to the new bag. We slowly aired the system up so the new bag would unfold slowly. Then I raise the coach all the way up, went to travel mode, then leveled. Supposedly this is the process for replacing tractor trailer bags on the road. All seems well. I hope to test drive probably tomorrow. The total bill $120.

He did decline to replace the second bag on the Drive axle as that process would not work easily since it is so confined. However, he did get me going so I can go to a truck shop for the other bags.

Life on the road is truly interesting...
Thanks for everyone's help and advice!
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

This is my first response so if I get it wrong in regards to protocol let me know. I experienced the same thing that was described above. The issue is the ride height sensor. I left Daytona and as I entered Orlando, I noticed smoke rolling from the back of the coach. After inspection I found that the boby was resting on the tag axle tire. I spoke with Newell and they suggested to raise the coach manually and see if it would resolve the issue. Well it manage to get it off the tire, but as soon as I let go it went right back down. I mange to nurse it home by holding the raise button down on the leveling system. ( I did have to stop several times for it to build pressure so it wouldn't rub tire.) Once home, the leak was easily detected as it was coming from the ride height sensor directed in front f the drive axle in the rear.I removed the sensor and noticed that the bushing was worn and had actually had a temporary repair made to it using a zip tie to support it. I order 2 of them from Newell as they weren't that expensive and I noticed that the same shoemaker repair had been made to the other side. I installed the new one and made sure to adjust the ride height sensor to the one that was fully functional. After that I duplicated the process on the other side. The leak was gone with no permanent damage. By making the repair myself the entire cost was under $200. I know the response is late but thought I would chime in anyway. I am enjoying my coach but have ran into several issues which is the normal considering you are rolling down the road in a vehicle the size of a house.

Excellent, Kelly! Thank you for sharing your valuable experience.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We a problem with just the driver side air bag not inflating when we put the coach on raise.  The driver side is lower than the passenger side and it looks like it is that tag air bag that is not inflating.  We don't see any air leaking from that bag fitting or the bag itself.  Installed new last year.  Which solenoid would put air to that tag axle bag?  I have attached a picture of our 6 pack. The two solenoids on the left side are brand new from HWH this past May. Thanks for any help

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

Hi Rick,

First lets make sure we all use the same terminology. The common words used to describe the HWH leveling system are actually printed on the control panel. Travel puts the coach in a mode where the ride height control valves control the height of the coach. Level puts the coach in a mode where you can automatically or manually add or subtract air from the air bags to level the coach.

Is it safe to assume you are in Level Mode? If so, pressing either the rear UP, or Left Up should add air the the driver side rear air bags. If that is what you are doing, then the first thing to check is to see if the Left Up solenoid in the six pack is getting power. It should be the solenoid in the upper right of the six pack, but be advised that I have seen two different versions of the six pack where the up and down solenoids are reversed.

It's easy enough to check. Put the coach in Level Mode. Have a helper press the left up button. If the solenoid is energized, a steel magnet will stick to it!

Let us know what you find, and we will go a couple of steps at a time from there.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(08-29-2017, 01:05 PM)Richard Wrote:  Hi Rick,

First lets make sure we all use the same terminology. The common words used to describe the HWH leveling system are actually printed on the control panel. Travel puts the coach in a mode where the ride height control valves control the height of the coach. Level puts the coach in a mode where you can automatically or manually add or subtract air from the air bags to level the coach.

Is it safe to assume you are in Level Mode? If so, pressing either the rear UP, or Left Up should add air the the driver side rear air bags. If that is what you are doing, then the first thing to check is to see if the Left Up solenoid in the six pack is getting power. It should be the solenoid in the upper right of the six pack, but be advised that I have seen two different versions of the six pack where the up and down solenoids are reversed.

It's easy enough to check. Put the coach in Level Mode. Have a helper press the left up button. If the solenoid is energized, a steel magnet will stick to it!

Let us know what you find, and we will go a couple of steps at a time from there.

We are in level mode and on raise. Both of the left solenoids are energized. All rear air bags are full except the drivers side tag axle bag is only about 1/2 full and will not totally inflate.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

on mine, the travel solenoids are the ones closest to the firewall.

so at least on mine....

the drivers side are on the top, passenger on the bottom

left to right they are raise, lower travel

but like richard says, some are not in the same config and richards method of seeing if the coil stem is magnetized when energized is the best way to tell

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Just for my information since my coach doesn't have a tag axle; how is the tag axle air bag inflation handled. Do they carry the same pressure as the drive axle or is there something additional going on? If something additional how is it controlled?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed