You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wisconsin Dells & Upper Michigan Peninsula

Was wondering if anyone had any RV park recommendations for the Wisconsin Dells area and the Upper Michigan Peninsula area? 

We normally go to CO for summer but our trip is getting cut in two halves this year - we are going to Chicago this weekend and thought we'd take a round about around Lake MI for a couple of weeks.  We will end up in Petoskey around July 1 and are staying at Hearthside Grove but if anyone has other recommendations around Petoskey to Traverse city, I'd love to hear about them too. 

Our two kids 10 and 7 that will be tagging along - cause we can't leave them home! 

Are there any bridge/road situations up there we need to be aware of (like decents and roads in CO)? 

Thanks for any help! 

Jason

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Traverse Bay RV Resort in Acme (Traverse City), Mi is a very nice park, great swimming pool area for the kids. 

Petoskey RV Resort, Petosky MI is a great rv park, much less pricey than Hearthside and a little more down-to-earth attitude. Also, if you like to ride bicycles,  it's located right across the street from a great bike trail that goes south to Charlevoix and north to Harbor Springs, both fantastic destinations and great little cities to visit. 

Tequanimum Falls State Park, Paradise, MI (in the U.P.) is a great, very popular state park.  The only Michigan state park with a brewery on site!  However, I'm not sure if it's very big-rig friendly.  You might want to check into that.

Highway 2, on the northern edge of Lake Michan is a very nice route, not much traffic, good roads, great scenery.

If you plan to travel much in the lower peninsula of Michigan on your route, let me know and I'll give you some suggestions for that as well.

(06-12-2017, 05:59 PM)bryguymi Wrote:  Traverse Bay RV Resort in Acme (Traverse City), Mi is a very nice park, great swimming pool area for the kids. 

Petoskey RV Resort, Petosky MI is a great rv park, much less pricey than Hearthside and a little more down-to-earth attitude. Also, if you like to ride bicycles,  it's located right across the street from a great bike trail that goes south to Charlevoix and north to Harbor Springs, both fantastic destinations and great little cities to visit. 

Tequanimum Falls State Park, Paradise, MI (in the U.P.) is a great, very popular state park.  The only Michigan state park with a brewery on site!  However, I'm not sure if it's very big-rig friendly.  You might want to check into that.

Highway 2, on the northern edge of Lake Michan is a very nice route, not much traffic, good roads, great scenery.

If you plan to travel much in the lower peninsula of Michigan on your route, let me know and I'll give you some suggestions for that as well.

Yes, Tahquamenon Falls State Park is big-rig friendly.

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

What's that did you say Brewery and RV's?! Brilliant!

These are great suggestions Bryan, thanks! Yes we love to bike and exploring so will try to get a spot at Petoskey RV. I was actually kind of concerned my kids may bother some folks at Hearthside, lol. My kids are polite, but they are still kids!

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

(06-12-2017, 06:21 PM)Junior Guru Wrote:  What's that did you say Brewery and RV's?! Brilliant!

These are great suggestions Bryan, thanks!  Yes we love to bike and exploring so will try to get a spot at Petoskey RV.  I was actually kind of concerned my kids may bother some folks at Hearthside, lol.  My kids are polite, but they are still kids!

You'll enjoy the bike trail there in Petosky, I'm sure. 

Will you be traveling south through Michigan?  If so, I can pass on some other recommendations to you. 

Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI

Yes we will be heading south.

It looks like there are 3 campgrounds at Tequanimum Falls State Park... is there one in particular you like and that works well for big rigs? Looks like a really cool area.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

(06-13-2017, 07:05 AM)Junior Guru Wrote:  Yes we will be heading south.  

It looks like there are 3 campgrounds at Tequanimum Falls State Park... is there one in particular you like and that works well for big rigs?  Looks like a really cool area.

Re: your stay at Tequanimum Falls State Park, it's been a while since we've been there, so my memory is failing me; it might warrant a phone call to the park. 

As for heading south in Michigan, here's a couple ideas for you:

* Poncho's Pond, Ludington, MI......http://www.poncho.com/  this is a GREAT rv park, very kid friendly and almost resort-like.  A "kid's pool" AND an "adult pool".

* Alice Springs RV Park, Ionia, MI........http://www.alicespringsrvpark.com/  Great pool, nice clean park, let me know if you stay here, I live close by

* River Ridge RV Resort, Stanwood, MI........http://riverridgeresort.com/   another great park that's kid friendly w/ great pool

* Hidden Ridge RV Community, Hopkins, MI.......https://www.sunrvresorts.com/Community/HID   same owner as Petosky RV Resort, very nice place, kid friendly

* Sunny Brook RV Resort, South Haven, MI.........http://www.sunnybrookrvresort.com/    a GREAT park in a GREAT resort town right on Lake Michigan

Bryan
Ionia, MI

This great! Thanks this helps a lot. I am so looking forward to seeing MI in the summer. Yes I will call Tequanimum park before heading there. I like the idea of kid pool and adult pool at ponchos. I'll send my wife and kids there while I go to adult pool! (I'm sure my wife might think differently!)

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff