You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wheel lugs

We just had front brake drums replaced and found damaged wheel studs on three wheels. We have all of the brakes checked. Left side is left hand threaded and right side is right hand threaded. I cleaned Newell out of the LH studs. The good news Van Horn Truck Parts ( Van Horn Truck Parts Inc. <[email protected]> ) seems to have the dog ear front studs under the Euclid part numbers of E5984R and E5984L .

I would suggest anyone having this Rockwall axle and hubs ensure their service people understand LH on the left and properly torque the wheel nuts. According to Fleet Pride, the wheel studs have been obsolete since about 1993. I spent a week trying to find enough to ensure all wheel studs were good and safe for use. I found a 600 ft/lb torque wrench on Amazon for about $200 that should be adequate for the 450ft/lb specified torque. Cheap insurance in my book to ensure there are no excuses to not properly wheel nuts!

A local bus company did find more available from Mexico for $38 EACH!

Happy motoring!
Danny & Marilyn
1991 # 277
2009 Dodge p/u towed