You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Onan Quiet Diesel

Hi there Newell Guru's
My old classic is a 1975 35ft with 2 air conditioners. Found someone selling a 5500 watt Onan quiet diesel. My current generator is an Onan gas 6500 that run's but it doesn't seem to be right to me. This is very likely the original since it has an Onan chrome logo on the front generator door. The install appears to be original.

Has anyone had any experience with these. Is the 5500 watt big enough? Is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

John

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Typically Newell would err on the side of abundance with generators etc. 5500 would run the A/C just fine. I'm guessing the engineers on this forum would ask what other electrical loads are anticipated. Is the water heater electric? Do you rely on any electrical resistance heaters? If your Newell has A.C. amp meters how many amps do you see at full load?
BTW we were visiting my father in law at South Haven yesterday...

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Ok thanks for that, I kind of thought this was probably too small. I think I need to be at least in the 60 amp range. I do have an electric water heater, water pump and electric powered heaters. That would give me a little room on the total capacity needed. I guess the old Onan will have to do until I find the next unit. It still works ok, it's just too noisy. I may have to look into it a little to get by with it if needed. It saved my bacon and two other neighbors to keep our refrigerators going for a 4 day storm related power outage we had.

Who knew you could buy a Newell backup generator, maybe they should put it in their adds. Smile

"If you want a great generator that really stands out in a crowd. By a Newell, it's slightly larger but looks great in the driveway. Plus it's nearly impossible to steal!! "

South Haven is nice. My mother had a friend with a place near the lake " short walk down to the beach on the stairs". It was a nice central spot to meet. I miss it. The lake shore in that area is awesome.
My wife was down in Fort Wayne with some friends visiting their cottage over the weekend. Had a brief shopping trip to Shipshewana. Found some deals at Yoders she couldn't pass up.

Turned out to be a great weekend.

John and Marcia Marshall 
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
Love old tech  Idea

Where is your generator mounted? Is it liquid cooled?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

It's mounted in the front - it looks like the slide should move manually but it doesn't. The bumper had a piece in the middle that can be removed. This is the Onan air cooled version Marquis 6.5k gasoline powered. When Jon stopped by earlier this year "77 Newell" he said the compartment looked a little smaller or maybe it's just the door. A bigger gen unit would fit in the space. it goes back pretty far. The pop-out door is pretty short though.

Yeah I think most of you guy's have the larger water cooled gen sets. Those are a big upgrade over the gas powered unit this one has. This 75 Newell is pretty basic. It could probably work fine with this Onan if I got it running better. I've seen them on Ebay, they seem to command a pretty good price still. so either they work ok or they're popular because they're rare.

I still may buy that Onan 5.5k diesel. I've heard others say these units run pretty quiet. It would be a big upgrade for this coach if it's in good shape like the seller is saying. I also want to experiment was some kind of solar system.

That picture of the Onan and the access door was in the middle of paint removal. It's getting there as far as that goes. My coach icon also shows some progress. I can see the end of paint removal coming though. Can't wait to get started on painting the coach.

John and Marcia Marshall 
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
Love old tech  Idea