You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacement roof air

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]I was replacing the number one ac , it's a dometic and what was suppose to be a 2 hour ordeal turned into 6 weeks.. I ordered a dometic penguin 2 roof air. Because my coach was older I still had a 5 button  thermostat and that requires a different circuit board. So I ordered it too. Newell was extremely backed up and I couldn't get in so 6 weeks ago I went to a local rv dealer who was Dome[/font][/font]tic certified. They said it was a 2 hour job. I said go for it. Well after installation it wouldn't work ,either the fan would run or the compressor but not both.. after 2 hours of troubleshooting and several calls to dometic it was determined the replacement board was the incorrect one. Order new board takes them a week to get here.. installed the new board and 2 hours later it still doesn't work.. same problem fan or compressor not both .dometic says we must have a bad airconditioner . Will send a new one but it will take a week. Check in with dealer the following week. They don't have it checked with dometic. They forgot to send it.. will send the next day be another week.  The following week shipment arrives. Dometic decided it was the fan motor . Replace it.. still doesn't work.. same result fan or compressor call back to dometic and now they decide they will ship me a new ac and And a new board. Was suppose to be in 2 days later. 2 days later it gets "lost" shows up 3 days after that. Dometic has them bench check the new ac unit with the new board. They test it still the same problem. Call dometic again. Get a different tech. He suggests cutting the yellow wire. Not sure what the yellow wire attaches to but all of the sudden it works. Rip the old ac off put the new one they bench tested on and we are good to go.  The rv dealer is beyond miffed at dometic.. they had about 12 hours in it and none of the instructions that come with the boards detailing the replacement or all of the times calling dometic dealer support had ever mentioned cutting the yellow wire..    so the moral of the story if something seems not quite right. Always cut the yellow wire ...lol

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I'm glad my good old AC's are in the bays and there are no yellow wires.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Wow. What a horror story, but all too common in the rv world

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )