You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Getting coach home - the first trip saga

Sorry for your issues but I love your style!

We will be at Rhonda's family farm in sevierville in October. Maybe we can meet you them

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We're hoping to be out on the road in October, but we'll see. Wink

So, Newell said that they can't give out OEM part numbers. Morgan overnighted a new fan assembly, bolt and half-moon key. No charge for the bolt and key. I asked him if that was the New Guy discount.

So with any luck I'll be back on the road again today.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

Well, I don't know what sort of evils I did in a past life. Or maybe my karma bag was just somehow woefully underfunded. But my ability to laugh at my predicament took a serious sledgehammer blow this afternoon after FedEx showed up and I raced over to the truck repair shop only to discover this......

One of these things is not like the other.

In any case, it's not a Dayton fan, it is an American Cooling Systems fan. Both have 12 blades. My fan is 32" in diameter. The one I received is 36" in diameter. And this was discovered 20 minutes after the overnight Fedex truck left Miami to deliver things to happy people tomorrow. Unfortunately I will not be one of them.

It looks like one could swap blades between them. They are so nearly identical, other than size, that you could probably spin the new one and cut the blades with a hot knife to end up with the small one. I definitely don't want to swap the blades though as one of the old ones does have a crack in the tip.

Morgan spoke with Mike Ellison, who doesn't remember any Series 60's that didn't have this 36" fan. Apparently I'm the oddball. Or 540 is. Or both of us.

Two more days in Santa Rosa.

Unfortunately, there's nothing on either fan that would definitively be a part number. There's a sticker on the new fan that reads 102400. At first I thought that was an ACS part number based on some part numbers I found online. But I can't find anything where 102400 comes up. I might try calling ACS in the morning to see if they can figure out what it is. There's a certain OCD part of me that still wants to find out the OEM part number. Of course now I want it for both the 32" and 36".

Paul
Coach #540

Hi Paul, You probably thought of this but could the shroud be modified to accommodate the larger fan?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yeah, I don't even want to think about trying to modify the shroud. It's enough just trying to get in there to the fan blade.

So, a new fan blade arrived today. And it looks correct. But nobody can work on it today. Even though on Tuesday: "Sure, Thursday!"

I think I may be toeing the line on the point where I need to apply for a New Mexico driver's license.

Paul
Coach #540

"Small fan" I just noticed that!!! B-)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Big Grin

Ok, so in case this helps anybody in the future...

The 32" fan is neither from Daytona nor is it from American Cooling. This one is Newell part number 5035 (a number which was actually sharpied onto the hub of the original fan, small bit of relief there for me). The invoice says it is a Crowley 32/12/12/5ZL/ and then it cuts off.

In any case, it looks like Gordon wins a prize here because when you google Crowley and fans, it is Multi-Wing that comes up -- "A Crowley company".

The person I spoke to there was nice enough to give me the whole Multi-Wing part number. I didn't waste him time quoting a price out on it, but the full part number is:

32/12/12/37.5/PAG/5ZL/.841X.156PPR/B

Not sure if that will or won't help anyone down the road -- it might be pretty specific to find anywhere but Newell as it incorporates blade angle, specific dimensions of the tapered shaft, etc. But there it is.

He said they did not have a 36" that they sell to Newell so that one is indeed the American Cooling Systems blade.

Paul
Coach #540

I feel like Bob right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm2d2_fUJ8A

2.5 hours back on the road and temp has only made it to 204 and that was up a long grade.

Paul
Coach #540

paul, i am having a good chuckle about the video. give me a call tonite to tell me how things went.

glad you are motoring again,

have you decided to move to santa rosa?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Paul, Not to worry about NM DL. Most folks here don't have one. Just drive & hopefully stay under the radar!