You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Crow Tastes Good

I've said time and again on this site that diesel fuel additives are a waste of money. I may have to alter my view a bit in light of recent events.

Since losing my wife to cancer I've been gradually reducing the inventory of "stuff" accumulated over the years. In the garage were a few quarts of transmission fluid that weren't going anywhere. Rather than take them to the recycling center I decided to dump them in the Newell's main fuel tank.

On the first leg of the trip it seemed I was seeing higher fuel mileage reported on the VMSpc and the FuelPro on the dash inched up slightly from 5.35. Before returning home I dumped 2 more quarts of transmission fluid in a full tank of diesel and on the trip home it seemed the VMSpc was generally reporting higher numbers, The FuelPro ended up at 5.83. It has always hovered around 5.35.

There is not enough volume of btu's in 2 quarts to make this difference. My GUESS is that the fluid is doing some kind of cleaning that doesn't happen with ordinary fuel that impacts my fuel mileage. My inclination is that eventually this rise will level off and the mileage will stay at that level even if I quit adding the fluid. It's either that or magic. I'll confirm this when I refill the tank.

So, if confirmed, this experience suggests there may be occasions when adding something to the fuel for a period could be beneficial. CAW, CAW! Why are all the crows scattering?

BTW: I've had a goal recently to get my fuel mileage up to more than 7 from the 6.7 I've experienced since I bought the coach. If the figures I've just seen are reflected in further reality then that goal will need to be revised upwards since it will be already exceeded. What good is a goal without some stretch in it?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I have heard that a small increase in lubrication in the fuel can improve valve seat and piston ring sealing. That may seem unlikely but it would not take much improvement there to affect mileage/power.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

John

Question :

Would the fact that you (and I) run 8V92's have anything to do with it? My understanding (what i have heard from others running 8V92's ) is that our engines do not operate as well on the formulated diesel that is sold now due to sulphur content. It evidently does not affect the 60's the same way

Your thoughts?

i have used a diesel additive on my series 60 for the last 10k miles or so and honestly dont see any real difference in mpg. but darlene does remember the time i spilled it on my shirt and how bad it made the coach stink when i came back in. ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have always added a qt of ATF to all of my Ford Powerstokes every 5K miles at service time since around 1985 to help increase injector life. Not sure if it works or not. But have not had to change many injectors out after warranty period has expired. Some have run up to 675K miles. That being said. I have not put any in the Newell 8v92 yet.

A thousand miles later the results are in; difference in fuel mileage: zip, zero, nada.

I never did like crow, too many feathers. Still, it would have been nice.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed