You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Coach Numbers

Thank you!! I didn't have that Serial Number. I have seen 4H, 6H and 10G

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Fulltiming, it looks like the numbers need tweaked. An individual just purchased a 1986 Newell and she says hers is Coach 121. FB group "Newell Coach Owners Group"

"Found our coach number on the original (!) blueprints found in the coach! We are number 121! Now if we could also find a manual....going to hit Newell up for that! Thanks everyone."

Thanks. I saw your post. I hope she follows up with a VIN. The coaches that tie things together for me is confirmation, preferably from the coach # and VIN taken from the original shop drawings for 1983-1989 coaches. It seems that few owners have these anymore.

I have updated my list. I try to keep the master list of coach #'s updated at http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...7#pid30767.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

A logical question:
    I’m not sure how many coaches are still on the road that are pre-83. But here are some thoughts.
    If a Classic Coach was built in October of 79 and registered as a 1980 with the last seven digits of a vin of D23212N, I estimate that it would be about the 285th coach built (Pre-numbering and Pre-1980 vin system).  Since the “ghost” numbers 815-1199 were vacated for the pre-83 manufactured models by Newell coach, wouldn’t it stand to reason that this coach 285 would equate to number 1100 or so? This would definitely be a way to account for the coaches built while accommodating Newell’s desire for a finite numerical designation for each coach. Also, In order to lessen the confusion, They could be anecdotally referred to as “Ghost 815” etc to differentiate from the current lineage... at least among Newell Gurus.    Your thoughts please.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

It is difficult to determine the Coach Number for a 1983-1990 Newell as it is not readily visible. For pre-1983 coaches, it is even worse as they truly were never assigned a multi-year sequential Coach Number.

I have a personal Newell database. I use two index fields. I use the "Coach Number" as my index from 1990 on and for those 1983-1990 coaches where the owner has verified the coach number either through the original drawings that contain both the VIN and the Coach Number or through finding the number hand written in various, typically concealed, locations inside the coach. I also index every Newell on the Model Year and a sequence number consisting of the last 3 digits of the VIN/Serial Number. In the case of your coach, I index on 1980-12N.

I have found it extremely difficult to gather sufficient information on the 1983-1989 Newells to reliably tie the Coach Number to each specific VIN. That problem would really be exacerbated for pre-1983 Newells since a sequential Coach Numbering system did not exist prior to 1983. I am not sure it would be possible to ascertain/create an appropriate coach number for pre-1983 Newells. It is my understanding that Newell uses the model year and sequence number to identify pre-1990 coaches in their records for 1983-1989 coaches rather than the 'Coach Number'. My guess is they use a similar method, model year and the last several digits of the VIN/Serial Number to identify pre-1983 coaches also.

Your goal is laudable but I am not sure the data is available to accomplish the objective and since the factory wants to be able to communicate with the owner about their coach using something readily identifiable to both, I am fairly certain they will stick with the model year and the last digits of the VIN/Serial Number for pre-1990 coaches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I spoke with the factory and they provided me with the previous owners names and the month and year of manufacture. I was hoping to speak with someone who could breakdown the rest of the vin but I will look for other identifiers in the coach and in what original paperwork is available. Having worked in the salvage industry we had a breakdown of the vin number position for engine, drive train etc, I’m sure there must be someone at Newell who has the specs for the pre 1980 vin nomenclature. Of course I realize 40 plus years is a long time. I definitely appreciate your help in all you do. I wonder, Do you happen to know how many Pre 83 coaches are still on the road?
:-)

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

I have no idea Mike. I have seen 110 pre-83 Newells listed for sale but since many of the older ones are listed in more obscure places that I don't watch as closely, I'm certain I have missed a bunch of them. I have either photos or at least limited information on 8-1982, 7-1981, 9-1980, 15-1979, 10-1978, 4-1977, 6-1976, 10-1975, 11-1974, 6-1973, 3-1972, 5-1971, 4-1970, 4-1969, 3-1968, and 5-1967's. I also saw an ad back in 2019 for a 1964 which the owner claimed was the first year for Newells and they made 85 Newells that year. What a bunch of junk. L.K. Newell purchased his first Streamline TravelHome in 1966 and after a trip to the factory, made a deal to purchase the TravelHome division of Streamline. He moved the production facilities from Los Angeles to Miami, OK and began building Newell Coaches under the Streamline name in 1967. Later in 1967 he started putting the Newell name on his coaches. There were either 84 or 85 Streamline Travel Homes built between 1964 and 1967 and none prior to 1967 were actually Newells. Even Newell's website mentions that the company started in 1967. https://www.newellcoach.com/about-us-mot...ship--info

As you pointed out, Newell built 385 coaches between 1967 and introduction of the new accounting system in 1983.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks for the awesome information. That’s about 120 coaches Pre 83. Wow I’m impressed.

Is it quality factory workmanship or dedication to the brand by the owners that keeps 1/3 of the Pre 83 around.

I’m too much a Newell newbie to answer that question intelligently much less objectively.

Michael,
Thank you for the historical information. While we understand the historical element doesn’t seem to have much in the way of self healing properties when a coach is on the side of the road, it does however, seem to be an intrinsic factor that I see among the gurus of the Newell brand of which I read within the pages of the forum. The pride, dedication, sweat, and sacrifice is evident among owners. For that We are thankful and are encouraged to be a part of the Newell community.

I suppose I answered my own question... it’s the people who make the Newell brand... you are awesome!!!

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

I am looking for info on Newell #269. It will supposedly be for sale soon.. Any info would be appreciated.