You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

I shoulda knowed

Well we left this evening about 7p. I thought wed go til 9 or 10 and sleep. Before we left as part of my travel prep I aired up ALL tires. Just as we approached Lima , Ohio I suffered tread seperation on a trailer tire. They all looked good and was at the recommended 65 psi. I pulled off RT 30 onto a side road and put the spare on. Now I'm really spooked! I Had bought all tires at one time, including the spare. I think I'll purchase new tires on the trailer tomorrow before we head to myrtle beach.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

You guys are spooking old paranoid me. Now I can worry about my trailer tires, instead of the Detroit Diesel overheating.
Sorry for you troubles.
How old were you trailer tires?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I have gone to using light truck tires (16" rims) on all of my trailers instead of trailer specific tires. I bought 5 trailers in 2012 brand new with new trailer tires. For 3 years I kept having & replacing tread separated tires until I went back to using truck tires. In the past we always ran tires to about 40-50 % tread life on trucks then ran the rest out on trailers. Then Ford quit running 16" wheels on trucks. I think the trailer specific tires are designed for much lower speeds & loads than what we all would run.

I went to Michelin light truck tires on my trailer after many tread separations on the trailer specific tires. No problems now in three years.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Truck tires. Great idea. I have done that as well on other trailers. My trailer is an Imperial 18' open car hauler with rubber torsion axles. It appears that fender clearance limits tire size. It had 205/75-15 tires when I bought it. After installing the spare we stopped at a Walmart in Lima, Ohio for the night. They don't carry a 15" trailer tire and said company policy forbids installing a passenger tire on a trailer. I went to Best One tire across town. They had 3 Carlyle tires the right size. $245.00 installed. Load rating is the issue. The passenger tires of this size I found were rated at 1600 to 1700# @ 45 psi. The carlyles are rated at 2100 @ 65 psi.
The new Carlyle tires are supposed to be an improvement over the ones I put new on the trailer 6 years ago. I didn't see any weather checking on the tires and they appeared to be in excellent condition before we left. The tread did seperate but it is possible it ran over road debris. I was rounding a curve with guard rails that tend to bounce errant debris back onto the road. The tire which was the leading tire on curb side was shredded but I did find a 1" long cut on the sidewall.
I left the shredded tire with the dealer and am keeping the other two tires we removed.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.