You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Adding holes in the roof

My (new-to-me) coach has only one of the Girard roof awnings on the curb side.  I'd like to add a second one aft of it so I have full coverage on the side.  Newell wants $10,600 for this second awning.  I am thinking about sending this work elsewhere to save some dough, but I am encountering some wariness about penetrating the roof to secure the big brackets that hold these things on as well as run the wiring.  

So, this makes me wonder...  what's the roof like up there anyway?  Any place to avoid in terms of adding holes?  Obviously, we want to put in as few as possible!

Thanks,

Ben

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

Ben,

Congratulations on the new coach! The coach is built with steel ribs and is covered in aluminum which is pop riveted to the ribs. (The sides are glued on).

Have you priced the awning itself? Those things are not that cheap to begin with.

I would normally say, go ahead and find the best price, but in this case you might want to consider Newell (even at the cost). Let me give you a few reasons why....
1) They deal with these awnings all the time. 2) They can match your paint 3) They know exactly where to mount the supports 4) They can integrate the controls into your spyder wire controller. And finally 5) Miami Oklahoma is beautiful in the fall. (Just kidding on the Miami thing....but the folks at the plant are nice).

For what its worth.
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(07-31-2017, 04:32 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  5) Miami Oklahoma is beautiful in the fall.

Well, now you've talked me into it. :-)

Just kidding... I've been to Miami twice now, and the folks there are indeed lovely people. I definitely will be staying there for some time because many of my renovation items are just too complex for anyone but Newell to tackle.

I had a suspicion you might conclude that sticking with the factory is best for this mod. Girard doesn't sell direct to consumer as far as I know, but it looks like retail on those Nova awnings is ~6k. So by the time all the uncertainty is factored in, yeah... it probably does make sense not to try to move this work elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback. Bill, maybe I should call you up and just let you play Jeopardy, Newell Coach Edition, and see how much I can learn from you in 30 minutes. :-)

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO