You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leak basics

Is it running with your leveling on or off? My coach was running about every 10 min when my leveling was on. But when the leveling is off it is ok. It's at Newell now getting looked at. Supposed to pickup the 16th and can see what the problem was.

(08-01-2017, 01:30 PM)77newell Wrote:  From the questions you've asked I'm confident that you will soon be promoted to guru.

You're very kind. Let me just show this comment to my wife. I'll print it out now. Smile

(08-01-2017, 07:08 PM)afrench Wrote:  Is it running with your leveling on or off? My coach was running about every 10 min when my leveling was on. But when the leveling is off it is ok. It's at Newell now getting looked at. Supposed to pickup the 16th and can see what the problem was.

It is happening at exactly the same rate with or without autoleveling. Except a few times in the mid-morning in Florida, when it was not. Still haven't been able to replicate that, but the compressor interval is exactly the same as when I started out a month ago.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

Is it the same when using the engine compressor vs the electric.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

"I don't have a way to get under the coach safely."

Leaks can be anywhere obviously, but there is good news for someone who can not get under their coach.  I have found ALL of my non brake leaks  in the compartment bays and inside the coach.  All of my air leaks have been air components or air fittings.  I have replaced all push in fittings with DOT compression style fittings.  The bad news is no one can tell you where you will find yours.

Tom's post was filled with some very important advice:

"air leaks can take a lot of time and at 100 plus bucks an hour you can rack up quite a bill."

"the real thing about air leaks, and electrical problems is to break it into pieces. isolate into small chunks"

"there is lots of material on the forum about finding, isolating and fixing air leaks."

"welcome to the find a leak club."

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(08-02-2017, 08:19 AM)77newell Wrote:  Is it the same when using the engine compressor vs the electric.

Good question, I don't know.  I can test that today, but...  doesn't the engine compressor supersede the electric?  Do I just have to watch the gauge in the electric compressor bay to see if it is falling at the same rate, or is there some other way to tell?

I just kind of assumed that the engine compressor constantly keeps the whole air system topped off, rather than cycling on and off from time to time.  Not so?

(08-02-2017, 08:37 AM)rheavn Wrote:  Leaks can be anywhere obviously, but there is good news for someone who can not get under their coach.  I have found ALL of my non brake leaks  in the compartment bays and inside the coach.  All of my air leaks have been air components or air fittings.  I have replaced all push in fittings with DOT compression style fittings.

Glad to hear that!

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

The engine compressor does the same job as the electrical compressor though the turn on and shut off pressures are 20-30 psi high r than for the electric compressor. The gauge of most interest here is the "supply" gauge on the dash, watching it for both the electric and separately with the engine compressor. I don't have a pressure gauge at my electric compressor so I'll have to think about how to use it depending on the results of this test.

Also useful to now, what pressure is the gauge near the electric compressor indicating when it turns on and turns off. Does the dash gauge show the same?

Jon Kabbe

Okay, I did a test today of the electric vs engine compressor.

Interestingly, although I observed a very reliable 4.5 minutes between compressor cycles on my trip home, today in the cool garage the cycle time was up close to 8 minutes. And, as I mentioned before, there were a few mornings where we didn't see it cycle for more than a half hour. This makes me suspicious that there is a big leak that is associated with some kind of thermal expansion, perhaps.

Anyway, on electric compressor today, cycle time was 7.5 minutes. The compressor came on at about 105psi and turned off at about 135.

On the engine compressor, the cycle was exactly the same length, but the pressures were about 10 or 12psi higher, like you described, Jon.

So today it seemed to lose 4psi per minute regardless of compressor.

These measurements were made at the gauge in the front compressor bay driver side. It is bigger and easier to read precisely than the "supply" on the dash. I have watched the "supply" before, though, and it moves pretty much in lockstep with the one down below, so I believe they are measuring the same thing.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

Others with newer coaches can chime in but the electric compressor settings sound high compared to my coach which comes on at 70 and shuts off at 90, or there abouts. My engine compressor kicks on about 95 and shuts off at 125.

Bummer on the pattern of pressure loss. It suggests that the leak(s) are somewhere in the main non-brake systems.

Do you have a pressure gauge on the rear 6-pack leveling system block or its more modern equivalent? My gauge is on the drive engine firewall on the passenger side. If you do have it then someone needs to safely nip under the coach to shut the two valves I noted above and then observe the rate of pressure drop on the gauge I just mentioned and the dash "supply" gauge. See my above description on why this matters.

Jon Kabbe

hi jon,

i thought the same thing. in fact, most of the 120v compressors they were putting in (jun-air model 600, model 6 and model of302) all had max pressure ratings of 120psi) and the well pump switches were set at 70-90 or 80-100 psi like you mentioned. i know they went to some thomas compressors, so i dont know what pressures they operated at.

the valid leveling systems have a different setup than our six packs of the pre-valid era.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yeay, I don't know the details of the Valid system. Given Newell's evolutionary design approach it would surise me if the basic layout of the air system was substantially different from pre-Valid coaches. I could certainly be wrong about that. If I am essentially correct there will then be a pressure gauge that indicates the air pressure feeding the leveling system. Hopefully someone on this board has a Valid system and can tell us whether the gauge exists.

Jon Kabbe