You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

C-15 coolant disppearing

Bob, I was at All Aboard America last year and had Leo do some repairs on my Foretravel which necessitated them removing the generator radiator. He suggested I take it to a radiator shop nearby to have cleaned which I did. So I'm sure he'll be able to remove your radiator but he or you will probably have to bring it somewhere to have repaired. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place but Tom might remember.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Jeff,

This is a bit of a conundrum, but here are some things to think about.

The answer is going to depend on two key questions. One, are you going to pull and replace the rad yourself? Two, how long do you have that the coach can be immobilized?

One, you can order a completely new radiator with new tanks (end caps and mounting rails). You could do that through Newell or if you know the original supplier. Atlas in Corpus Christi was the original supplier for my coach. There will be a tag on the radiator somewhere but it may not be accessible with the rad installed. Expect a long delivery time if you order directly from the vendor.

Two, you can take the radiator to an industrial radiator shop for repair or recore. Repair is iffy sometimes on the leak you are describing. Usually the shop will take measurements of the core and order a new one from one of the several core manufacturers in Michigan.

Three, if you are not removing the rad yourself. I would ponder who do I trust to remove it? And where will the coach be safe while the work is ongoing? Even a recore will take almost two weeks downtime.

Four, I think others should weigh in on the pros and con$ of using a CAT dealer.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

i personally would be more comfortable having leo do it at all aboard america.

the shop i had my genny radiator rebuilt and yours forest is serck radiator on baseline in mesa. it is about 10 minutes or so from leo.

bob, you might give leo a call and see what he has to say

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

1000 dollar increments.

Michael and Mona Corrigan
2008 Newell #1248
2010 Mini Cooper S

Thanks everyone,
Leo at All Aboard America was very helpful.  He told me to bring the coach in today so I drove it up from Tucson arriving about 2.  He surveyed the situation and told me they'd get started on it Monday even asking me when I'd like to have it back!  He had doubts about telling me to bring it in after he looked at the access the P2000i body affords to the radiator and mentioned he'd be calling Newell Monday for some advice.
I'm preparing to go to the bank.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

The Cat radiator job is actually easier than the Detroit Diesel radiator exchange. The rear bumper on your model coach either folds down or is removed, can't remember which, and gives good access. The exchange shouldn't take more than about 8-12 hrs. not counting the repair of yours.

Might I suggest replacing ALL hoses and double clamping with new clamps. Keep the old ones for spares. Turbo clamps too. Easy access with the radiator removed.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

And take a really good look at the exhaust system while the rad is removed. You will never have better access.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just a preventative maintenance question.... who made the radiator for Newell for the 1979-1980 circa classic coaches.

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Great information, thank you.  Servicing those hoses and clamps are excellent ideas and I think Leo would be very willing to do that while he has such good access.  Fortunately the turbos on ours were replaced in 2017 and warranted for 4 years by CAT but since the four years is up this year adding a couple clamps could be good insurance.  Looking at that rear cap and the radiator access door if there's a bumper there it's well hidden.  I hope Newell can give Leo the information he needs to easily remove that big radiator.  From the looks of it the support bolts are very close to the cap in the rear and getting wrenches on there will be an interesting process.  I'm sure Leo will be giving me a call first of the week with a progress report.  I'll keep yu'all posted.

You may be asking yourself why were the turbos replaced?  NASCAR drivers owned it for a short time and put a separate boost gauge on it. The head needed rebuilding as well and that boost gauge knob is verboten.  Fortunately CAT does build a good motor.  The lower end was not damaged fortunately.

Sandy and Bob McBratney

Week one over.  Radiator is out and at the radiator shop.  On the P2000i not as easy.  The top of the radiator assembly is welded in and had to be cut out with a die grinder after removal of the fan assembly and radiator shroud.  Richard and Steve your suggestions were transmitted for inclusion in the repairs.  I've asked Leo to examine equipment including exhaust exposed by having the radiator out and to replace hoses and clamps.  We'll see what week 2 brings. AMUs undoubtedly accumulating.

Sandy and Bob McBratney