You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

battery disconnect switch

I recall when working on Bill Appel's 1990 Newell in South Dakota, he was attempting to reboot the inverter. Turning off both battery shut offs did not kill power to the inverter. We had to physically remove the cables from the inverter to shut down the power. I am fairly certain that my 1992 is also wired that way.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I discovered my coach was set up this way just last weekend when trying to shut off power to the inverter. Still not certain of the logic behind it tho..

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

There is one positive cable that goes from the house batteries directly to the inverter shunt and then onto the inverter.  It does not so through the shut off switch.  For those with late 90's coaches this cable is very important.  The reason is that in the late 90's Newell got & installed some cabling that the insulation degraded over time.  The bare wire becomes exposed and therefore you have a condition right for an electrical fire.  PLEASE INSPECT THE CABLE  GOING FROM THE BATTERY TO THE INVERTER!  Many of us gurus had to replace ours.

Here is a picture of the cabling I removed:      

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I found that the multi conductor cord from the transfer switch to the main panel had cracked just like that, but because it was multi conductor, it was still protected by an overall jacket. Went ahead and replaced it . It was really obvious to see as it came out of it's jacket into the main breaker in the main panel.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

i decided i didnt like how the switched ground cables lined up with the new 300 amp switch, so i made some new cables for it today. i finally broke down and bought a hydraulic crimper to do 4/0 cables. i have a smaller one that does down to 2 gauge. i bought some lengths of the large battery cable sized red and black adhesive heat shrink as well. makes a nice looking cable.

if you need cables made, you know where to go....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(08-03-2017, 08:35 AM)rheavn Wrote:   PLEASE INSPECT THE CABLE  GOING FROM THE BATTERY TO THE INVERTER!  Many of us gurus had to replace ours.

Here is a picture of the cabling I removed:  

That is what I would expect of WELDING cable - the insulation isn't suited for the automotive environment. It may be tough & abrasion resistant, but it isn't rated for oil & fuel exposure. It is also expected that welding cable will be fully exposed - that way failing insulation can be readily observed.
I was surprised to see that Newell used welding cable when tinned boat cable with better insulation is only a little more . . .

In my opinion, Marine boat cable is a much better fit for our coaches.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740