You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking to buy

Hi all,

Due to life circumstances (not bad) I am looking to purchase a motor home to live in (parked at my business) and travel with.
I have limited experience, although I have borrowed my friends 2005 Country Coach several times and got hooked.

I new I would want to purchase an older high end coach like a Prevost or equivalent. Through my research I came across this community and have been
lurking for a month or so. I am not dead set on a particular coach except I know I want slides. My budget will be determined on the value of the coach.

Being extremely handy, a coach needing some work does not intimidate me, which leads to the one I am presently looking at.  A 2000 triple slide that has been sitting for at least 2 years outside. It has 70k on it but is in rough shape (at least to me being on the anal side). The biggest issue is that it has gotten water in it from the bedroom slides being deflated and the mid-bath vent cover missing (I know). Almost all the lower bays are wet, I am assuming the water has just leaked down through the floor. It will need tires, batteries and interior work for sure. As long as the cabinetry is ok that does not bother me. I could go on and on but am looking for some guidance. As of now I can purchase this coach for 80k as is. I am just trying to get some assistance in making a decision (or not).

Thanks,

Mike

2002 45'8" Triple Slide #639

I am not sure which coach you are look at so this is not directed at any particular coach but more to any coach that has been sitting for an extended time and is in "rough" shape, especially one with significant water damage. In any coach that has had extensive water intrusion, be aware of the potential for mold. Black mold remediation is not for the faint of heart. You can cover it up but it will come back if it is bad and not remediated properly. Do a title search (Carfax, AutoCheck, etc) to make sure it wasn't a salvage title at one time.

Some mechanical/electrical issues on a coach that has sat for several years should be expected. The tires and batteries alone can be in $5,000 - $10,000 (the higher amount if you use AGM's). I don't know how you plan on redoing the interior but Newell originally used top grade (high $) materials.

Engine, transmission, and brakes should be looked at in any coach that has been sitting. Refrigerator, air conditioning and Aqua Hot should be examined as those can be brought up to snuff with regular maintenance, or require thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars each to repair/replace so make sure the drive train and electrical components work properly.

All that said, if things seem to be good in the above categories, $80,000 is significantly less expensive than any 2000 model 3 slide coach I have seen listed.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

MIke,

Since you asked........

Executive summary - I would not do it. Priced too high for a coach in that condition, IMO.

You will need your skills to take care of a well cared for coach that is 17 years old.
Not counting the cost of your time I expect your investment when complete will be more than you would have spent for a well cared for coach.

But, obviously your choice and we will help you spend your money and answer your questions and read all about it if you go that route :-)

Good luck! Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

for me, it would have to be a lot cheaper. it will likely be more work and money than you expect.

but thats just another opinion

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My perspective is that it depends on how you value your time. It will likely take a lot of labor (your time), more than you will estimate. That will be OK IF you enjoy the work, have the time availabe, and don't need it soon. If you enjoy it, it's better than golf. If you don't, it's like a perpetual colonoscopy.

My previous coach, a 77, had sat unattended for some time and appeared in good shape. To get it up to snuff I spent about 1500 man hours over a couple years. Using Newell labor rates that's $150,000 just for labor. However, I enjoyed myself immensely and learned a lot (partly that my wife thought I was crazy). Parts costs weren't that great but still thousands.

Would I do it again? Maybe.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Mike,
I rebuilt the bay floors on a 1978 Newell. If the construction on the 2000 is similar it will have plywood directly over the steel flooring. If moisture has penetrated into there (as happened on the one I rebuilt) Everything should be removed down to the steel. Newer models have the foam sprayed on the bottom of the steel ( my 1978 model did not have that). If the steel corrodes and has to be replaced the foam would need to be resprayed as well. That is a two part foam requiring special equipment. The tankage bay should be ok but I would be concerned about water in the storage bay.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

i did a total redo on my 90 newell. i figure i had over a 1000 hours in it as well. it was a ball and i did it on purpose. my 2002 was in need of a lot of TLC as well and i did as much as i could myself and still have work to do on it. more time and money than makes sense, but i love doing it.

thats the key and jon and dean hit it on the head. you have to really like doing it. and yes jon, you are CRAZY, crazy like the rest of us....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Wow that's a lot of great feedback. I went and looked at it again today and was feeling better about the condition and the undertaking until I read 
the reply's to my post. I am not really looking to spend 1000 hrs getting her up to snuff especially with Russ willing to help me spend my $$. 
I guess the hunt is on..........

2002 45'8" Triple Slide #639

Would you share the coach number and where it is ? I might want to look at it.
Thanks

MG