You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Driving I-10 vs I-40 east

Driving from San Diego to Albuquerque and wondering if the I-10 through Phoenix then the 60 North to the 25 have fewer uphill climbs than the I-40?

i personally would not take the 60 that goes up through globe, pinetop etc to get to the 40 near grants. the climb to flagstaff is steep and long, but the road is very very good.

btw, you should stop and see us in wittmann. it is not very far from the I-10 in west phoenix. we have a 50 amp spot for you to spend the nite.

tom mccloud

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

i emailed you my phone number. give me a call

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(08-13-2017, 07:06 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i personally would not take the 60 that goes up through globe, pinetop etc to get to the 40 near grants.  the climb to flagstaff is steep and long, but the road is very very good.  

btw,  you should stop and see us in wittmann.  it is not very far from the I-10 in west phoenix.  we have a 50 amp spot for you to spend the nite.  

tom mccloud

Thanks for the offer, but time may not permit a stop so soon after leaving home. 
Because there is a LOT of road construction on I-40 up to Flagstaff, I'm wondering if I-10 to I-8 to 25N or the I-8 to 25N would be quicker, easier and fewer hills even though they're both a few miles longer.

I would not hesitate to take I-40 since I recently traveled on it. There is construction almost everywhere this time of the year.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I would take I-8 to the I-10 in Casa Grande. Then take NM 26 from Deming to catch the I-25 in Hatch, NM. Drop us a note when passing thru Deming. We might be home!

PS: Try to drive at night this time of year as roads are cooler. Or, drive a lot slower to keep tire failures at bay.

(08-14-2017, 07:35 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  I would take I-8 to the I-10 in Casa Grande.  Then take NM 26 from Deming to catch the I-25 in Hatch, NM.  Drop us a note when passing thru Deming. We might be home!

PS:  Try to drive at night this time of year as roads are cooler.  Or, drive a lot slower to keep tire failures at bay.

It's been awhile since I've driven the 25, any uphill grades to consider?

There are a couple of grades, but nothing at all like on I-17 out of Phoenix. There is a long slight grade north of T or C that can be a bit deceptive. Just keep an eye on temp & drop a gear or 2 and you will be fine. There is 1 grade dropping into & going out of a canyon but it is pretty short.It's well marked and you want to watch downhill speed because it is slightly curved at bottom.