You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dash Transmission Check Light

I had the oil and tranny filters and fluid changed this week and on the drive home, the Check Transmission Light came on:  what is the 'Check Tran Light' and switch on the dash for?

Also, there's a DDEC rocker switch on the dash - any idea?
Thanks

Bring the coach up to operating temp
By driving it twenty miles. Idling will not do it. Press the up and down buttons simultaneously on the tranny key pad to r ad the error codes.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The DDEC rocker switch is there to temporarily restore the ability to run the engine after an engine shutdown due to a sensor telling the computer there is a serious issue with the engine. This would allow you to start the engine and drive to the shoulder of the road if you stopped in a lane of traffic.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(08-18-2017, 12:56 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  The DDEC rocker switch is there to temporarily restore the ability to run the engine after an engine shutdown due to a sensor telling the computer there is a serious issue with the engine. This would allow you to start the engine and drive to the shoulder of the road if you stopped in a lane of traffic.

So that's like the override switch?

(08-18-2017, 11:22 AM)Richard Wrote:  Bring the coach up to operating temp
By driving it twenty miles. Idling will not do it. Press the up and down buttons simultaneously on the tranny key pad to r ad the error codes.

There's no up or down buttons on this tranny keypad.  And I forgot to mention that the check tranny light would turn off when at a stop, but then come on again when moving.

(08-19-2017, 01:58 PM)NextNewell Wrote:  
(08-18-2017, 12:56 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  The DDEC rocker switch is there to temporarily restore the ability to run the engine after an engine shutdown due to a sensor telling the computer there is a serious issue with the engine. This would allow you to start the engine and drive to the shoulder of the road if you stopped in a lane of traffic.

So that's like the override switch?

Yep

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

richard is referring to a allison hd4000 6 speed. i suspect you have the alison hd741 4 speed. yours is a 94 so that is the transition year to series 60's. and if you have the 8v92 it has the 4 speed. even if you have the series 60 i think they still used the 4 speed at first.

which do you have for engine and tranny?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Maybe the check tranny switch is to check for codes?
I seem to remember my old '93 had a similar switch, how about it Jon?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(08-19-2017, 03:29 PM)encantotom Wrote:  richard is referring to a allison hd4000 6 speed.  i suspect you have the alison hd741 4 speed.  yours is a 94 so that is the transition year to series 60's.  and if you have the 8v92 it has the 4 speed.  even if you have the series 60 i think they still used the 4 speed at first.

which do you have for engine and tranny?

tom

8v92 and hd741.

The DDEC Over idea switch is only connected to the engine ECU (electronic control unit) and has nothing to do with the trasmission. It operates as described above.

The "transmission check light" and "transmission check switch" operate as follows (I believe and will verify as soon as the manual shows up). When the ignition switch is turned on, the light on the dash and the light on the upper right corner of the control pad flash a few times so you can see the lights work. The lights then remain off until some problem is detected by the transmission ECU which then turns on the CK TRAMSMISSION light. When you then push the CK TRANSMISSION switch up you will see the light flashing a number of flashes that represent the number of the error code detected. For instance 2 flashes, pause, 1 flash is code 21, which is that the throttle position sensor input to the ECU has a problem. There are sub-code flashes that will tell you if the signal is too, too low or nonexistent.

An online search will find you a page listing the meanings of the various codes.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed