You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Transfer switch.

(09-07-2017, 06:27 PM)Lencantotom Wrote:  all of this was caused by the lightning strike?

tom

The transfer switch has been funky ever since. But I have gone through 5 transfer switches in 4 years ..every time at some point one side or the other will quit engaging..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

i have replaced one transfer switch. there was a new one in a box in the bay when i bought the coach. i guess they felt it going bad....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Marc, a new transfer switch every 10 months , calculates to perhaps 30 operations of the device before failure. Most of these contactors are rated for 500000 operations. Have you checked the voltage being applied to the coils of the contactors to make them operate ? Perhaps the control, ( Coil input) voltage is marginal.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Hey Marc, lightning causes weird problems. My house was hit by lightning and caused all sorts of weird damage including to my brain (well now, that explains a lot - perhaps a future campfire story topic). I would love to hear what the factory finds in the failed one and if they think a similar damage could have occurred in the previous failed switches. I'm eager to know what is happening because lightning scares the bejeebers out of me and I want all the protection possible without having to live in a bunker.

What I find weird is the inconsistency of the failures, they are similar but random in terms of which side dies.

I really hope you got it sorted now.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I didn't have it repaired at newell.. I sent it directly to the manufacturer.. but wil like to see what they say

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701