You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air hose in engine compartment

I picked up my 2018 Newell about 4 weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!  This is my first Newell, and also my first motor coach :Smile!

I'm learning all of the systems and doing pretty good but, I tried to fill one of the tires on the tag axle today using the air hose from the engine compartment.  There wasn't enough air pressure even though I had the engine running and I pumped the brakes to make sure the compressors were running.  I looked for a valve to turn on but couldn't find anything.

Can anyone shed some light on how to use this?

Thanks,

Gregory Miller

Gregory,

I am at the factory and although I know nothing about the new coaches .... there are enough similarities that we may be able to figure it out. I went over to a 2018 coach for a look-see.

If you open the engine door on the passenger side, you can see the tube that supplies the hose reel. Follow that back and it goes into a compartment on the right side the compartment with a little door. Open the door and find on the left (rear of coach) wall inside that compartment is a label (Air Multiplier). That is the valve you are looking for. Turn the valve so that it is inline with the tubing. (perpendicular is off).

Since the coach only makes around 120 lbs of pressure and you need more than 120 lbs in the tires, the "doubler" or "air multiplier" takes two gulps of air and turns it into 200 or so lbs. (Since there are no free lunches, it does not supply much air at this pressure). So, expect to spend a long while airing up a tire using the doubler.

You can help the situation but putting the coach in "high idle" while you air up the tire...but expect it to be slow. You can verify that you are getting air by depressing the center of your air chuck with a screwdriver or such.

There is a regulator right by the valve, but you should not have to adjust that to get the doubler to work. Also, turn off the valve when you are done to minimize air leaks.

Hope this helps!
bill

Also, congratulations on the new coach!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,

Ah, I seem to remember Gene showing me that now that you mention it. I shall look for that to see if that will help me. I have other ways to do fill the tire but I was trying to do this the other day and couldn't remember exactly how.

Thanks so much for your help. You guys do a fantastic job and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am and also the fact that it is such a quality product. All of the staff should be proud of what they produce.

Best,
Greg

Greg,

When they do that new-coach orientation...the information comes so fast...it is amazing that we learn anything! I bought my 2003 coach from Newell about 6 years ago. I too had never owned a coach before. I quickly forgot pretty much everything they told me. Over the years, with the help of the Gurus, I have figured out much about my coach....but still have a lot to learn. I find the technical aspects to be interesting and rewarding.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions here. Seemingly simple questions have often evolved into full-fledged discussions on this site. Many times I thought I understood how something worked, only to find out that my assumptions were wrong. Go Team Gurus!

Enjoy that new coach!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Congratulations on your new coach Gregory. Please share some information and photos with us. What is the coach number?

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(09-04-2017, 08:47 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Congratulations on your new coach Gregory. Please share some information and photos with us. What is the coach number?

Thanks to everyone for your help. It has been truly amazing and fun. It seems everyone associated with Newell or their coaches has the same friendliness, love and passion about the product!! I'm looking forward to many years of this.

My coach is 1630 and is on their website. For some reason the only exterior shot is of the storage bays. I'll try to get a couple of external pics posted very soon. I'll do that after this post but I'm sure I'll need to watch the file size!

Thanks to everyone!

Gregory

When we took delivery in Miami, we recorded the orientation presentation for future reference. This was a long time ago and with a much less complicated product then todays Newells but may still have some merit.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue