You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Washable air filters

Has anyone tried these washable air filters by Fleet Air  https://fleet-airfilters.com/pages/instructions  .  I am always looking to improve fuel mileage, and if I wait to replace my air filters when they have slowly gotten restricted, somewhere along the line a new one would be better than waiting till it hits the "red line" on the restriction gauge. But, at $180 to $200 for a new paper air filter, it doesn't make sense to replace them 2x's as often, or does it?

I'm just now replacing my filter and I should be getting new MPG results. But I'm not apples to apples in terrain so, i'm not sure I will have scientific MPG results.

But I would wash my "Washable" often and always be near optimum, I think.

I'll call for pricing tomorrow.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

It appears this is a variation on the K&N oiled cotton air filter. Do the pass more air? Yes. Do they pass more dirt? Yes Its my opinion but I am not a fan of the low restriction low filtration air filters. Before I wised up, I put the K&N on two different automobiles, Nada, nothing, no increase in anything except intake noise.

Have you done the math on the payback? For example, let's say the new filter costs 400. Let's say you drive 10000 miles per year, lets say you get 7.0 miles per gallon, and the filter results in an astonishing gain of 0.5 miles per gallon, and let's say that diesel is 3.00 per gallon. One year of fuel cost before filter change is $4286, one year of fuel cost with the 0.5 mpg gain is $4000. I think those are best case numbers

I can see a 1.0 mpg difference between 63 and 68. You have to be even more sensitive to speed pulling the stacker.

You can maximize your mileage by making sure the valves and injectors on the engine were adjusted after the break in period, and driving in the low to mid 60s.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

also, try filterbarn.com for the air filter. wayyyy cheaper for mine than anywhere else.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My opinion is:
Not worth the risk, if it’s anything like the K&N style I question how much actually gaining and how much dust is actually getting by that filter.

Then the question of did I get enough or to much oil sprayed back on the filter. I’ve heard after time you loose some of the filtering of the filter when you clean it over and over again.

I say just monitor your air filter restriction gauge and replace when gauge is showing restriction.

In my younger days yeah all about the hype, but now Newell built it well and I trust the filters that are industry standard. And really.... I don’t worry about MPG anymore, it is what it is and it costs to play.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

I have purchased off e-bay & amazon also.

So to end this thread for now, The do not make a washable filter to replace the ECO-LT P537449 or Baldwin PA2723 wich is what I have on my Newell. These are enclosed disposable canisters. Maybe with more time, I can figure a retrofit of one these washables.

I will argue that, the way I travel, I end up parked and time on my hands, I would have washed the filter and reinstalled it, so as to always be "fresh or new". I have a washable on my motorcycle. If I had to pay for a new paper filter on the bike, after every ride in the dirt, it would break me.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

"Ditto" on Filter Barn way cheaper than anyone else and free shipping:-)

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I would need to see the actual flow capacity vs pressure drop graph -- AND -- the data on the maximum size/ & qty of the dirt that passes thru the filter.

It has been my experience that quality paper elements filters out perform the oiled cotton filters by a wide margin.
Also, when I was using the oiled cotton filters - it didn't take very long before the dirt buildup significantly reduced the flow of air thru the filter.

However, your mileage may vary . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I found this link to washable air filters a couple days ago.
https://www.knfilters.com/cross-referenc...ir-filter/
I am a fan of the K&N filters for almost 25 years. The first vehicle I put one on was a 93 Dodge Dakota w/318. It improved fuel mileage by 1/2 mile per gallon. With the price I paid I figured the payback miles was 34,000. A lot of it in not replacing a paper air filter.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile