You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Just purchased 1983 Newell

Hello. My name is Sam Shroyer. From Muncie Indiana. Month ago I purchased this  coach in Columbus IN. Drove her home . Once made it back the skeletons come.. just little overwhelming lol. Looking forward to making her ready for a small trip. But. The  shiny 92 has water in the  exhaust . Looks like its coming down from the turbo. And has a ground problem that shuts down  generator ..Been cleaning all connections . Trying to make sense of the converter charger .

Welcome to the group.
You can get help here.
I strongly suggest you list your problems separately in the appropriate categories. It makes
It much easier to follow and provide help

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(09-06-2017, 06:48 PM)Richard Wrote:  Welcome to the group.
You can get help here.
I strongly suggest you list your problems separately in the appropriate categories. It makes
It much easier to follow and provide help

Will do.. thanks Richard.

Welcome Sam. Love to see photos of your new '83 Classic.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

From one Classic owner to another.....WELCOME!!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

LSam

With water in the exhaust I would worry about a cracked head OR a head gasket

George

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Regarding the water in the exhaust; a few questions

1) is the coolant level dropping?

2) is there water in the engine oil?

3) are there bubbles continually appearing at the radiator fill neck with the radiator essentially full?

4) is the exhaust showing steamy color or smelling of coolant?

What makes you think the water is coming down from the turbo?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Welcome to the group.  Sorry you are having trouble but there is an abundance of knowledge here and as Richard said, "list your issues by associated threads".

I knew the previous (original) owner but don't know much about it's history.

You can pressure test the coolant system to see if it will hold pressure.  If it won't , put the overflow tube in a water bottle (with water) and see if there are bubbles while running, if so, the head gasket is likely the culprit. 

As for the generator, i think it is an Onan and uses a ground to start , ground to stop three wire system.  Unplug the remote leads going inside and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, you have a grounded stop lead either through a faulty switch or a wire touching ground.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

(09-07-2017, 02:48 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  You can pressure test the coolant system . . . . .

Be careful how much pressure you put on the system - I over pressured a car system once & blew out the radiator.

My 8V92 has a 7 psi cap . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

An 8V92 does not have a tradition head gasket. Rather it has individual crush rings for each cylinder to seal between the head and the cylinder and then a O'ring sealing the perimeter of the head. There are no passages carrying coolant between the block and head like we are used to seeing on other engines. The cylinders are removable from the block and are sealed near the top and just above the intake ports to contain the coolant.

These engines typically leak coolant at a cracked head, from a pitted or cracked cylinder, or, I think, from an injector seal. Depending on how each has failed you can get water in the oil. You can also get water in the oil via the oil cooler but that wouldn'T fit the symptom of water in the exhaust.

Since these engines always have positive pressure in the cylinder, unlike 4-stroke engines that have negative pressure on the intake stroke (normally aspirated engines at least) doing the pressure test and leak test just mentioned would be helpful. Having the engine warm will help to open the cracks if any.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed