You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Just purchased 1983 Newell

FulltimingWelcome Sam. Love to see photos of your new '83 Classic.

Yes  not real handy on here yet . Ther is a pic on the form page the seller put. I'll take a picture tomorrow. Thanks so much!

(09-07-2017, 11:36 AM)77newell Wrote:  Regarding the water in the exhaust; a few questions

1) is the coolant level dropping?

2) is there water in the engine oil?

3) are there bubbles continually appearing at the radiator fill neck with the radiator essentially full?

4) is the exhaust showing steamy color or smelling of coolant?

What makes you think the water is coming down from the turbo?

Yes. Losing coolant.. no coolant on the stick. Have not looked for bubbles. But will.. it's not burning coolant.
No steam either. 
Ther was an exhaust leak . Noticed a hole on short pipe exit side of the turbo between the manafold. When removing that pipe noticed coolant lying in the manafold. And turbo was wet with coolant.

(09-07-2017, 06:56 PM)77newell Wrote:  An 8V92 does not have a tradition head gasket. Rather it has individual crush rings for each cylinder to seal between the head and the cylinder and then a O'ring sealing the perimeter of the head. There are no passages carrying coolant between the block and head like we are used to seeing on other engines. The cylinders are removable from the block and are sealed near the top and just above the intake ports to contain the coolant.

These engines typically leak coolant at a cracked head, from a pitted or cracked cylinder, or, I think, from an injector seal. Depending on how each has failed you can get water in the oil. You can also get water in the oil via the oil cooler but that wouldn'T fit the symptom of water in the exhaust.

Since these engines always have positive pressure in the cylinder, unlike 4-stroke engines that have negative pressure on the intake stroke (normally aspirated engines at least) doing the pressure test and leak test just mentioned would be helpful. Having the engine warm will help to open the cracks if any.
When we  pressure checked the coolant engine was warm. With no drop in pressure.or apparent leaks that we could see. I definitely will checkout for bubbles in overflow..  Wow .. thank you all so much. I'm hopping it's just a head gasket.

Welcome,  I have had hands on almost every part of my 74 and with the help of a previous owner we have her up and running! We love it and enjoy the conversations it brings.  I had to cleanreplace every ground I could find when I got mine.  It made a lot of issues vanish.

Now were running smooth and loving it.

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

It won't be a head gasket since there is none as I described in a previous post. Given the evidence presented thus far, I'm betting that you have a cracked head that is allowing coolant to get into the exhaust ports. The fly in that ointment is that you reported no white or gray smoke when under way. Under power, any coolant from any source in the exhaust would get turned to steam if sufficient heat is available. Still, you have coolant at the exhaust manifold in raw form.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

WARNING!
A very small amount of antifreeze in the oil will wipe the bearings! That will turn a head job into a complete overhaul VERY quickly. Get  a competent mechanic to diagnose the problem if you don't know how. Also, failed water jacket O-rings between the head and block will result in the symptoms your engine exhibits. The O-rings fail due to age and/or overheating.

TOM

Delaware
Looking at Newells
Former coaches '72 MCI, '82 Wanderlodge, '91 HR Limited 40

Before tearing the engine apart I would recommend having an analysis of the oil. The results will point you toward either a simple coolant leak or toward whatever damage has occurred from coolant circulating with the oil. I'm sorry this is happening with your coach.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Is the coolant just on the exterior of the manifold & turbo? If so it may just be a hose or hose clamp on a coolant hose suck as heater hose. Not sure how all are routed on your application. Odd that you are not losing pressure or seeing a leak on pressure test though.

As previously stated, a small amount of coolant in the oil causes major heartache. In other words, before you drive it again, make sure there is NO coolant in the oil.

In my opinion, looking for coolant on the dipstick is not reliable until the crankcase has a lot of coolant in it.

Drain a quart or so of oil into a clear jar. Let it sit overnight. Tilt the jar and look through the bottom corner of the jar towards the light. If there is coolant in the oil, it will show up in the low point of the jar.

I hope you don't have coolant in the oil, but it's important to find out if you do in order to prevent significant damage.

Of course, as previously stated, the oil test is the most reliable method, and worth the money for the peace of mind.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

From owner of another 83, welcome. The maintenance can be overwhelming but rewarding. Can't help you on the engine, mine has a Cummins, but there's real gurus on here to help. My generator is a 12.5kw Kohler with a perkins engine. I just put a seal kit in the injector pump and it leaks like a Perkins but otherwise runs well.

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR