You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Just purchased 1983 Newell

Welcome to the forum Sam. Sorry your Newel is giving you issues. I like all the previous posts, especially having the oil analyzed. That should confirm weather you have water getting into the oil and weather it's necessary to explore the inner engine parts. One trick we used to do at the shop was to remove the oil fill cap to check for milky white oil. This in not a conclusive test but may give a quick idea. I have to admit that there are others with much more diesel experience then me. I'm hoping this could be something like an intake gasket leaking. Again I'm not sure on this engine, in the gas engine designs they usually have water pumped through the intake. Of course I'd want to confirm no oil in the pan. I've also drained a little oil and hopefully no water from the drain plug by carefully loosening the plug. Good luck on your project.
For the generator I'm not sure how a ground would shut it down, however in my garage day's ground issues could cause some pretty weird issues. So I'm going to take the tip and will check and clean all of mine. My 1975 came with an Onan gas generator. I'd like to have the diesel, it would sure simplify the fuel tanks. I'm sure the diesel gen guy's can help. Us gas gen guy's are few and far between.
My winter project is working on my propane heaters. Another fun project. Mine sits next to the garage under a cover. Hopefully you have a warm place to work/play. I enjoy working on my unit, I think that is necessary for us classic owners.

Again good luck on your project - I'm sure the time you're spending now will be worth it in the end - I live in Michigan however grew up in South Bend. Welcome from another Hoosier.

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Welcome Sam! I have an 88 so if I can be of any help just send a PM.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)