You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Differential Lock-up solenoid is a source of leaks

Gang,

I learned something today that I thought I would share.  In my coach, the differential "lock up" air solenoid is located on the firewall above the engine batteries.  On some coaches (around the 2003 vintage) the solenoid housing is mounted with the "out" port on the top.

As you go down the road, grit and dust find their way into port and if you ever use the lock-up function the grit falls into the valve body and this can cause a HUGE air leak.  (ask me how I know this!)

Check your coach for the housing mounted upside down.  (Out port is up).  If so, you should clean out the port and then remount the housing with out port on the bottom.  (Don't mix up the air lines).

bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

It may be easier to add a sintered brass filter or some other type to keep the trash out.
https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlus-Bra...DVCJ39TB3P

I've always had the thought that one of the reasons for the 6-pack solenoids failing is because of trash cutting the sealing surfaces. But as it's a closed air system that shouldn't happen, but as you've just demonstrated possibly trash is getting in through the exhaust port. Who's gonna be the guinea pig and add an exhaust filter to the 6-pack exhaust?
Don't make me buy another Newell just to prove my theory....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

My coach has an exhaust filter on the front six pack installed prior to my ownership. I cant speak for its effectiveness - i recently went through the entire six pack to rebuild and clean out a far amount of build up.
It strikes me as a good idea though - one more tool in maintaining a clean air system.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

The rust in the tanks is another culprit

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ok then what about a filter just before the 6-pack valves along with an exhaust filter?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Since I replaced the original finned air dryer with a Bendix model (AD-9) the uses desiccant I've stopped finding water in my air tanks and oil seems to have disappeared as well. Given that, I believe I'm less likely to have rusting in the tanks.

If I could find a filter that I felt could be relied upon not to leak I would install them in the entries to the 6-packs. The typical ones at HD and Lowes are designed to do well in static situations but we insist on traveling over bumps and exposing them to Drivetrain vibrations.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed