You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1984 With Trico air wipers

Anyone have any experience with Trico air wipers? My 1984 has become very sluggish on the drivers side. 1 pass of the wiper  and it is tired out. It does respond to the park command perfectly. I have the Trico motor out on the work bench. Before I go any further, it appears this motor has never been serviced. It has sawdust on it from the dash board construction. Would I do any harm putting a little mineral oil in the run and park intake ports? I realize the problem may not be in the motor, but the control valve in the dash, but it must need some lubricant for the o rings after 34 years?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy, My 93 has electric wipers. I found that the secondary arm was seizing up causing it to be sluggish. I removed it and greased it.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Since you have taken it out, I would think about a complete disassembly and cleaning. Just putting oil in the ports may free it up but there is likely gunk on the inside.

Of course, I take everything apart to see how it works...........it gets me in trouble sometimes

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I was hoping you would post on this. This is new territory for this electrical guy. Hmm, electrical guy, get it ? Can't help but notice it is not held together by fasteners I have ever seen before. What the heck are they? I assume , ( uh oh) hat there must be a large o ring involved in the case? Is it a one way trip for me, once opened I will have no way to put it back together without new gaskets etc? There is a web site, Rome truck parts that seems to have some replacement Trico parts.
If you just happen by Greenboro N.C. in the next 10 days, we will be here waiting for you, or Orlando next Month Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I had my wiper motor out and apart a few weeks ago. Those screws holding it together are interesting but not that tight and came off easily with locking pliers. Once inside there are some plastic and rubber parts. Theres also a small snap ring if you want to get the paddle out. I cleaned it all up and reassembled with original parts. I bench tested it checking for leaks. It works, but not great. Its a little erratic and stops once in a while.

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR

Guy,

We should be home in in Inverness in two weeks. Let me know when you hit Orlando .

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Marcus and Richard,

Are the chambers that are held together with all the strange screws under pressure when the wiper is in use? I am just worried about resealing it after cleaning and lubrication.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I don't have any hands on knowledge of that air motor. O rings are easily obtained. Gaskets can be made with gasket material or gasket maker available at any auto store.

It can't hurt to just try mineral oil first. If that doesn't free it up then take it apart.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Inside one chamber of the case is a cork flap that gets pushed back and forth moving the wiper arm. In a smaller chamber there is a plastic piece with rubber caps. This diverts the air flow to change direction. Between the 2 halves of the case is a rubber gasket that seals the chambers. Mine easily came free of the cases and was able to be reused. The integrity and thickness of this gasket matters because it seals the cork paddle. There are only a few moving parts inside.

When I disassembled mine there was a fair amount of dirt. Some had hardened to the case and prevented the cork paddle from moving freely.

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR

Today I lubricated it with no positive result. It would move the shaft, but when the resistance of the arm and blade was added, it only goes halfway across the glass and stops I have nothing to lose . Tomorrow I will take it apart. You and Richard have given me the confidence. I may have to buy a case of Rain x Smile I am also troubled by a fair amount of air noise from the control valve/switch, but that can be another day.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59