You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leaky seal

This is a dumb question. Isn't a seal just like an inner tube on a bike? Assuming the hole is located where one can get to it, couldn't you patch it just like tube?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I tried this. The problem is the "rubber" used for the seal is just not conducive for any of the adhesives out there. Plus, unlike an inner tube, you are flexing, inflating, and deflating every time you actuate the slide which makes the fix even more difficult.

There is one repair story I have found on the Prevost forum, where the guy successfully used superglue to patch a pinhole. Don't laugh, as I did the homework on this, I found cyanonacrylate (superglue) to be the most effective adhesive.

I talked to a friend of mine who does seals for offshore oil rigs. He just shook his head when I said the seal was neoprene.

I bought some neoprene and about ten different adhesives. Glued patches on the neoprene, put it in the sun, waited ten days, and peeled them apart to see which one had the strongest bond. Nothing worked satisfactorily.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I may have a small leak. If I find one, I may try the flex seal tape that's on tv.. a small piece maybe

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701